News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Soho day 2

Started by troutphisher, March 29, 2008, 22:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Glassfisher and I wanted to fish today, but our weather didn't look to promising, so we opted to fish the soho.

We got an early start and met up at our usual spot at 6:00am and headed for TN.

We decided to fish new water today, some place we have never fished.
After searching some back-roads, we found a place to park and access the river.

Both of us started fishing the same set up, a Sulphur mighty may and a bwo dropper.
We searched the water for riffles and seams, and found some promising looking water.

I fished a section that was shallow, but had some good seams and a small rocky bottom. It wasn't to long before I had some fish. Mostly rainbows, and a few browns.

I moved to another riffle section, and cast just inside the seam, there was a current flow that would pull the fly around an "S" shaped flow, and I watched my indicator get pulled under. I set the hook and immediately felt the fight of a good rainbow.
I could see it roll and want to pull into the fast section of the riffle.

I fought the fish into the slower water, near a shallow pocket and managed to land it. It was a deeply colored male, with a bright orange belly, and deep orange streaks under it's gill plates. I really like the way these soho rainbows fight. They are some of the hardest fighting rainbows, I've had the privilege of hooking. I had a lot of fun today fishing these rainbows.

Around 3:30 a sporadic Sulphur hatch was on and I could fish rising in tail out of the riffles, and slack water. So I switched flies to a size 18 Sulphur compara with a bleached deer belly hair wing, and caught a couple of smaller rainbows and browns.

I took  a break to watch the action and try to spot some bigger fish rising.
The problem was three different current speeds between me and the opposite bank.
With the wind starting to pick up, I decided to try some different water.

Glass was working some pocket water up stream and was into some good fish.
Glass hooked into a nice brown and it had his hardy reel singing and the hardy boo rod bent under the fight. I decided to give him a hand and net the fish for him since I had a better position from the other side of the current.

I took another break from the action and noticed some wild flowers on the bank.
they almost looked like some type of wild tobacco.

Around 6:00pm a good bwo hatch was on and flies were popping every where.
I fished a dry bwo pattern for about an hour and had fun catching a few more rainbows, then switched back to nymphing.

It was a fun day, we both caught lots of fish, and I even stopped to smell the proverbial flowers.

Here are some pic's of the day.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Discomidge

Nice fish TP...that bow's colors are awesome, and the WF pic, me think's it's Virginia Bluebell 0--0

Kim 8)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

TROUTMASTER3000

I gotta fish over there... I have never seen such vivid colors on a fish!
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

troutphisher

Quote from: Discomidge on March 30, 2008, 11:06:22 AM
Nice fish TP...that bow's colors are awesome, and the WF pic, me think's it's Virginia Bluebell 0--0

Kim 8)

Correct call on the wild flower!!........nice  0--0

http://www.eco-usa.net/flora/bluebell.shtml
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: TROUTMASTER3000 on March 30, 2008, 11:22:25 AM
I gotta fish over there... I have never seen such vivid colors on a fish!

save your dinero for gas! and the license....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

brownhunter

Great report and fish once again guys.
Thanks for sharing  0--0
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

glassfisher

Now that I've seen a closeup of that second bow I can't believe it.  What beautiful colors and a bunch of spots.  Another great day on an awesome river!   ;hb
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

TROUTMASTER3000

WB i know what you mean, but from what i see here its worth it  ;hb
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES