Updated Catawba River info 3-4-11

Started by walt, March 19, 2008, 07:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

walt

The new Toll Free # 800-829-5253, it replaces 828-584-1451 You have to punch 1-1-2-1 on your phone to receive the Bridgewater Flow/Release times.
---------------------------------------------

Scott has put together the latest info/news for me to pass along to everyone here.... Thanks Scott.

Catawba River News
Posted on March 4, 2011 by Scott Cunningham

We've had so many folks asking us about the Catawba tailrace we thought it would be a good idea to post what we have heard from reliable sources.
- The Powerhouse construction is still scheduled to complete by September.
- Duke Power has settled on a minimum flow, we're not sure about the actual number but have heard around 170 cfs (right now min flow is around 25) This will be after the dam is completed, no telling how low it will be during the construction.
- NCWRC is holding the Spring stocking of brown trout in the Special Reg Section until Fall. Should allow the fish to be bigger and stronger when stocked and they estimate them to be in the 14-16″ range at stocking.
- Several access points are being considered and most of the tree farm land below the dam has been leased by the State for public use.
- New USGS Gauge installed just downstream of the dam with new alarm system to warn fishermen when power generation is about to start. (see link below)

So overall things are looking good and progress is being made. Still some issues to iron out but for the most part things are on a good track. Do keep in mind.... this would have never been possible without the hard work of several people and most of all Squeak Smith.

For your info here's some links that we thought might be helpful to many of our readers.
USGS Gauge at Bridgewater Hydro Station: http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nc/nwis/uv?site_no=02138520
Duke Power's Downstream Flow Arrival: http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/downstream-flow-releases.asp
Duke Power's Generation Schedule for Bridgewater: http://www.duke-energy.com/lakes/scheduled-flow-releases.asp
Duke Power Phone Number 800-829-5253 Press 1, then 1, then 2 and finally 1

Here's what we all want to see more of....

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

TROUTMASTER3000

Is the entire Catawba river controlled under the release of the flows or just parts of the river??
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

walt

Quote from: TROUTMASTER3000 on March 30, 2008, 23:09:30 PM
Is the entire Catawba river controlled under the release of the flows or just parts of the river??

all water below lake james is controlled by dams and release schedules.

--walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

TROUTMASTER3000

Thanks, Walt.  I was thinkin of goin fishin there with a few of my friends this weekend... It is definantly wadeable right???
Thanks
Anything is possible with will, determination, and an endless supply of expendable labor.
AMERICA RULES

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: TROUTMASTER3000 on April 15, 2008, 19:37:53 PM
Thanks, Walt.  I was thinkin of goin fishin there with a few of my friends this weekend... It is definantly wadeable right???
Thanks

DANGER, WARNING, it is only wadeable if they ARE not generating!

There was an article in NC Wildlife last year about a father and son who narrowly escapes the rising waters.

DANGER, WARNING!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

TROUTMASTER3000

Thanks WB.  Whats interesting is that I called the number and they said it was subject to changes without notice.  That kinda scared me.  What the hell is the point of a flow release if it is "subject to changes WITHOUT NOTICE".  Its strange... Any comments?
AMERICA RULES

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: TROUTMASTER3000 on April 15, 2008, 19:47:18 PM
Thanks WB.  Whats interesting is that I called the number and they said it was subject to changes without notice.  That kinda scared me.  What the hell is the point of a flow release if it is "subject to changes WITHOUT NOTICE".  Its strange... Any comments?

it's a major disclaimer! ALL dams that I know of have the same message! You never know, usually they stick to the schedule but not always....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

TROUTMASTER3000

Yea i know WB.  Its wierd.  I dont think its even worth the trouble.  It would take away from the relaxation to have to continue looking over my shoulder constantly... Thanks for the link tho man.
AMERICA RULES

Mstash

Our River made the NC Sportsman Mag. Along with the New River.
Great info

Mstash

walt

— Cormac McCarthy

Woolly Bugger

thanks for the update...

one you asswipes need to show me around that river... soon!

jis sayin'
me -There's a season?

Peddler

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

snagaluffaguss

Are they going to put triploid or diploid browns in there and will there be anywhere in the main or side channels or feeder creeks for reproduction or is it going to be maintained strictly by stocking?

Get Bent

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on March 05, 2011, 16:09:12 PM
Are they going to put triploid or diploid browns in there and will there be anywhere in the main or side channels or feeder creeks for reproduction or is it going to be maintained strictly by stocking?

I think the ultimate goal is for the browns to reproduce, and there are plenty of shoals for them to spawn on. Only time will tell once the minimum flow is instated.

Konichiwa Bitches!