Upstate SC Anyone? Keowee area? SW NC?

Started by JPOFLY, March 13, 2008, 21:44:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPOFLY

[I POSTED THIS IN THE REGIONAL SECTION AS WELL, BUT WANTED TO ADD HERE ALSO].

Hey everybody - glad to be back on the BRFFF (was on for a bit, but years ago and don't remember what my handle was).  Anyway ...

I recently built a house on northern Keowee in the upsate region of South Carolina and I am trying to get some info on trout fishing (stream, not lake) nearby.  I have spent a little time on the Whitewater and have read that the Chattooga, Saluda, maybe even Eastotoee (sp) are worth checking out.  I have a cool little book on trout streams of Southern Appalchia, but wanted some real live insight.

Would really like to get out on a stream some time soon and if anyone is interested, I'd trade your schooling me out on a stream for an afternoon pounding bass on Keowee off our boat.

Thanks.

John

brownhunter

The Eastatoee is a great little stream, depending on where you fish it. The section within the heritage preserve is wild, with some stockers that swam upstream, but is beautiful water. This will be all rainbows, nothing real big, but real nice colors.
The Chattooga used to be real nice,  but they need to begin to manage the river a little better. Walk away from the crowds and this will increase your chances of catching fish. There are some really nice ones in there, but don't expect to catch any of the wild ones. The HWY28 bridge is DH, but up around Burrell's Ford is wild/stocked.
The Saluda is a nice little stream, but I have only fished it once, so can't really tell you much about it.

Hope this helps.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

Do I need a passport to fish South Carolina?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Na,

I'll vouch for you, and you'll get a green card.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.