News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Soho day 2

Started by troutphisher, February 24, 2008, 21:21:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

Woolly and I fished the South Holston today. I couldn't make the early arrival, so Wool fished the first hour by him self, until I showed up.

We fished an area where the bwo's were coming off yesterday, in hopes of a repeat performance. We were not disappointed.

I started the day fishing nymphs on a dropper rig. I fished a size 18 mighty may as the first fly, and dropped a size 18 bwo emerger off about 20".

I fished a riffle section and had fun catching rainbows. Their colors are in full spawn.
Some had deep shades of rose sides and cheek plates.

Around 11:00 am the bwo hatch was on big time, the fish were boiling on the surface taking flies at leisure. At times it seamed the whole surface of the water was covered with bwo's.

I snapped a pic of a bwo just emerging and drying it's wings on some rocks, when I looked at the pic later tonight, I noticed another bwo in the upper right corner of the picture.

We both switched to dry fly's and had fun catching rising fish. Wool came down river to where I was fishing and fished just up stream of me. I caught a good action shot of Wool, catching a nice brown on a bwo dry.

We moved down stream, later in the day to fish the last hour of day light.
I managed several more rainbows and browns in the riffles and seams.
I was just about ready to call it quits for the night, when a DNR officer pulled up and ask how I was doing, then asked to see my license. This is the second time in as many weeks, I've been stopped and checked. It's good to see and hopefully will curtail the poaching.

It was another good day on the water, and good to fish with Keith again.

Here are some pic's of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Chaser

Another great report.  The colors of the fish are spectacular.   0--0

TC

jkilday4

Sounds like you got your fill of Soho this weekend - very nice work!

We had a TWRA guy check our licenses not long ago on Big Springs...& have been hearing of others being checked the last couple months - good to hear it's continuing.

Thanks for the report -  0--0

Woolly Bugger

cell phone shots of the day...

the best part... the very best part... was the BWO HATCH!

magic!

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

New years resolution -- Keep up my fly fishing blog....

Keith's 2008 Fly Fishing Log ;hb
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Rod Champion

I fished it today... BWO's still coming off... Actually great dy fly fishing.. The river hasn't missed a beat all winter.. And man, the bows are fired up-- red from top to bottom,
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

launchone

I will be up there this weekend. Hoping to fish both rivers in some sort of float/wade combo.... I will be bringing one of the guys from the fly fishing film tour who is interested in doing a film about the area, so I hope we have something go on to make it interesting...of course the place rarely disappoints.

croaker

Great report & pictures.
Almost like being there.

Thanks, I needed that!

don
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

troutphisher

Heres a couple more pic's of some rainbows and a brown with really deep colors.
The colors on the rainbows side rose stripe was really pronounced, along with the deep shades of green of their backs.

The brown was surprisingly dark in color too.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Gofisher

Great feeshies...I need a fix... :'(
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Z-Man

Great report - beautiful colors.
My list of gotta go to's keeps getting longer the more I visit this forum.
Now the SoHo is moving up the list quickly.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!