News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Pa. Resident looking for NC Trout Info

Started by 19ertim, February 24, 2008, 17:23:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19ertim

Hi,
I will be in NC in early April. Staying in Raleigh but I want to fish the weekends. I was thinking of Elk River in Western part of the state.
Where can I get an out of state license? Pattern recommendations? Any other tips for this area, or other streams to try  will be appreciated.

Thanks

Tim

Creek Scum

www.ncwildlife.org for license. The closest trout water to Raleigh is actually the Smith River in Virginia. Depending on where you start out in Raleigh you're three and a half to four hours from the Elk. The Mitchell and East Prong of the Roaring River, both delayed harvest are a little closer and another hour can put you on the northeast Tennessee tailwaters. If you want to do a day trip you may want to look at the Smith. If you're going to make it an overnight trip it will open up your options.

David
you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death - Waters, Gilmore, Wright and Mason

Woolly Bugger

Might want to reconsider species and go for Shad / Striper on the Roanoke  Call Capt. George Beckwith -- downeast guide service....http://www.pamlicoguide.com/roanokeriver.html

You'll have a hell of a time! and much shorter drive of about an hour (depending on where in Raleigh you're staying!)

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

Weldon is still 3-hours away. ;D  Not as many miles, but a lot of 2-lane roads. >:D  Shad should be picking up soon, though.  Definitely time to make plans.... ::)

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!