Any Stone Mountain update?

Started by Wulffman, October 05, 2005, 10:11:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wulffman

i'm sure someone has been out there this week.  how bad are the water levels and how did it affect stocking numbers?   i've been hearing how low it is and that they might not put many in

Steelers

My buddy and I ventured to Stone yesterday!  Arrived at 8:00, fished til 5:00.  We caught a few trout, but not the numbers we had hoped.  The trout are still holding in the exact location that they were stocked.  The water is extremely low and the fish are still adjusting to their new environment.  It appears that they didn't stock the number of fish as usual.  We need rain desperately!  I did see a number of trout rising, but no takers to my adams.  I caught every fish on the standards (prince, bhhe, stoneflies).  I had the most luck with a #14 bead head hares ear with a #18 dropper.  They were really liking the small stuff.  My buddy had a lot of luck with a #16 prince.  I am sure this weekend will be crazy packed.  I would suggest waiting til we get a little rain and cooler temperatures, but if you are anything like me, you can't wait to get on the stream.  All yeah, there were quite a few power bait chunkers up and down the stream.  Best of luck!!

Busta Brown

Marty has been up there with a client and he said he felt they didn't stock as many as they usually do. The water is so low that it was probably an issue of the fish not making it if there were to many in the water. Keep the rain coming.

Jeff

Rod Champion

On the Green, they stocked 1,000 lbs. instead of the usual 1,330 - 1,600. Budget cuts?
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

walt

Quote from: Rod Champion on October 07, 2005, 08:09:58 AM
On the Green, they stocked 1,000 lbs. instead of the usual 1,330 - 1,600. Budget cuts?

ehhh, 1,000 lb..... better get out the xi2 14wt  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;)

walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

marty

i hear the water level rose 6 inches when they put him in  ;D
Marty Shaffner
Tri-State Angler Guide Service
www.tristateangler.com