News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Back to the South Holston again

Started by Hugh Hartsell, October 02, 2005, 19:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Hartsell

:D Carolyn and I were back on the South Holston again today because of a good generation schedule and low water conditions in the Park. We had to walk downstream pretty far today because of so many people fishing. The fish were feeding good when we got into the water and we were both rigged with Sulfur Compara Duns and Bead head midges. In just a few minutes I made a long downstream cast and played out line to get the flies over a feeding fish that looked like it had some size to it. I must have played out 70-80 feet and a fish took the dropper. I set the hook and the battle was on. A long sizzling run across the river and a flying leap into the air showed a beautiful fish of more than 20 in. long. I played and played and struggled with this fish for 12 -15 min. The closest that I ever had it was about 40ft. from me. At one time it made a long run downstream and I had out probably 120-140ft. of line. He finally turned and stopped and worked his way back somewhat. It just turned into a bulldog struggle that finally ended when he just tore the hook out. The next thing that took place was the man below me hooked another large fish. It made 2-3 jumps and long runs and turned into another long battle. This one ended the same way. I saw the line fly back into the mans face and I knew it was over. A short time later, Carolyn hooked another large fish. The same sort of battle ensued. The fish was all over the river and all that she could do was hold on. This one ended in the fish running under some of the sharp ledges and managing to cut the leader. We were batting 0 for 3 in that section of the river. We fished on, catching many fish in that part of the river, and when the water came on, we moved to Big Spring Road. Again, as the other day, when we were here, the fish were feeding like crazy. We caught numbers in the next two hours and the best was taken when I made a long 70ft.cast up and across to the other side of the river. A beautiful rainbow took the Compara Dun and rocketed out of the water. This turned out to be a 15 in. fish. It made 4 beautiful jumps and when I landed it, this is what it looked like. I hope you enjoy it.
   Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

Gofisher

Two great reports Hugh. Thanks for adding the pics too.

brownhunter

Great report Hugh, I love reading about your fishing trips. It makes me feel like I am right there with you. Thanks again for the short trip.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Stuart R.

Hey sounds like a good day. I had a fun day last Tues.. I caught lots of fish and broke off 2 nice Bows. I wish I could have got atleast one good one in. YOu had a fish on for near 15 mins. I try to never fight a fish that long afraid of killing it. Those big boys on hloston will fight to they die. What size tippet do you throw dries on down there? I use 6 or 7X. I use an old Orvis Full flex Rocky MTN. 9ft 4wt rod the best tailwaters rod in the world! Fights fish like a 2 wieight and casts like a 4wt. You can fight even a decent fish on the rod alone not using alot of drag. But sometimes you have to. I have been put in the backing there a few times. One fish 2 times on the same fight. Got ready to break him off he was a 20"+ brown and had a bad case of netshy. I couldn't get him closer than 12 or so feet of me. Then I thought well better just pop the rod and break the 7X but then by some miriacle he rolled up on his side and went to the net. The fish was still strong for the release.

Congrats on another good day.

FM
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Hugh Hartsell

:D FM, we were using 6X tippet.
   Thanks guys, I'm glad that you all enjoy the reports.
       Hugh
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE