News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

The Watauga was the place yesterday

Started by Hugh Hartsell, October 02, 2005, 03:47:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hugh Hartsell

:D The generation schedule for the South Holston was all drift boat stlye yesterday so we hit the Watauga River and really enjoyed ourselves. We wanted to share the trip with you and tell you that fishing the tailwaters in the Fall is just great. The flies that we used were the Compara Dun with a #22 Beadhead Hares Ear dropper. We caught lots of rainbows and browns, but the browns just seemed to be more active yesterday. Enjoy the pictures.
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

Stuart R.

Good job. I haven't fish the watauga since about this time last year. It is alittle farther for me to come from Richlands VA. I used to go quite often until I  learned the Holston some and how to throw dries. I was more effective on the watagua with nymphs. So I fished it more but now I love the dry fly I do use the dropper alot too. THe Hares Ear is it a nat. color? Or a special blend?

FM
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Hugh Hartsell

:D FM, the Hares Ear is a real simple fly to tie. I have using #22-24 size hooks and also using a bead. I wrap the thread back to the hookbend and tie in a short piece of midge size,gold wire. I then take a small pinch of hares mask dubbing, spin tight, and wrap forward to the beadhead. I secure this down with the thread and wrap the gold wire forward to the back of the bead. I then take a small pinch of Angel hair and tie it in about 1/6-1/8 in. behind the bead and make a loop wing which is tied in behind the bead. It makes a great little dropper on the South Holston and the Watauga. Drop it about 24-30 in. below a Sulfur Compara Dun and you've got a killer combination.
     Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

outdoorguy3

Hugh,

If you don't mind me asking, are you using a metal bead on hooks that small......22 and 24, or is it a glass bead?

Thanks,

Ralph ;D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Hugh Hartsell

:D Hi Ralph, how are you doing? I have been using a metal bead for the flies. I bought some yesterday at LROs just for those flies. They are 1/16. I hope this helps.
     Hugh
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Rod Champion

1/16 it would have to be Ralph- if you need some - holler
Did Ernie go with you Hugh?
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Hugh Hartsell

:D Rod, Ernie didn't make this trip. It was just Carolyn and me.
       Hugh
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.