Smith River TU Meet, Thurs, Dec 6th

Started by Al, November 13, 2007, 18:36:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Smith River Trout Unlimited will meet at Ranias' Restaurant in uptown Martinsville, on Thursday, December  6, 2007, at 7pm. The program for the evening includes a review of chapter activities during the past year and election of chapter officers for calendar year 2008. 

You do not have to be a member of TU to attend our meetings.(You must be a member in order to vote on chapter business)   Anyone who has an interest in the Smith River Fishery is encouraged to attend. Ranias' provides us with a meeting space with the expectation that the majority of attendees will purchase a meal. (Good food, moderate prices).

For more information contact Chapter VP Al Kittredge, (910) 868-6235 aakitt@earthlink.net

Al

Bumping this to the top. We hope to have a good turn out. If you fish the Smith we want to meet you and listen to your ideas. The only way we can make change is active participation from everyone.

John Ross, President of VA Council - TU, very accomplished fisherman, writer and author of "America's 100 Best Trout Streams" will be in attendance.

Al

One last bump. Hope to see you there!

Remember, the only way you can affect change is by active involvement.

Al

Hi to all -

The SRTU Secretary had a conflict and was not able to make last evenings meeting so I will do double duty and let folks know what happened.

First and foremost I want to thank everyone who showed up. We probably set an attendance record for a regular meeting. I was so busy that I did not take a headcount but my lovely wife who was also there said she estimated we had at least 30-35. It was gratifying to look out and see so many faces. What was more pleasing was when we did self introductions and many said they were there for the first time. Now it is up to us, the leadership, to keep them coming back.

Here are some of the highlights of the meeting:

Virginia Council Trout Unlimited Chairperson John Ross spoke eloquently about all the good things that are happening in the Smith River area. These include our active participation in the USACE Philpott Section 216 Study - Two of our chapter have been selected to represent TU on the 216 Study Natural Resources Subcommittee. He also heaped praise on the Trout In The Classroom program which is generously sponsored by SRTU member Dr David Jones. This program is currently starting it's third year and is held up as the model for other TU regions to emulate throughout the entire United States. The Virginia Museum of Natural History located in Martinsville was lauded for it's "Wild Watersheds of Virginia" exhibit which is a 40 foot long. 10 foot high interactive exhibit that introduces museum visitors to the Brook Trout as a critical indicator of aquatic habitat. If you have not visited the VMNH at it's new location, you owe it to yourself to go. Lots of intersting and neat stuff.

A proposed slate of candidates for leadership positions for calendar year 2008 was offered for consideration. Nominations were also solicited from the floor. The following members were elected to the primary leadership positions.

BJ Walker (AKA "Firefly" - President
Al Kittredge - Vice President
Cory Haynes - Secretary
Ted Tomczak - Treasurer

Chapter President (elect) BJ Walker was not able to be in attendance due to work schedule conflict, however he sent a letter of acceptance which also outlined his vision and goals for 2008. These include:

Host public Philpott 216 Study Update in Spring 2008

Host a minimum of two fishing "get togethers" on Smith River

Organize at least one out-of-town fishing trip

Support and participate in TIC program

Continue to monitor & participate in Philpott 216 Study

Support other local like minded groups, i.e. - Friends of Philpott, Dan River Basin, Rivers & Trails, etc

Increase membership

An executive meeting of the elected leadership will be held at a date TBA in January. Any and all members who would like to volunteer for appointed duties are invited to attend. Any member who has ideas or just wants to know what is going on is also invited. (We will let you know when and where).

Our next regularly scheduled meeting will be March 6, 2008. (I was in error when I previously said April 3d - We hold regular admin meetings every quarter, i.e. Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec - special events or "get togethers" are in addition to our admin meetings)

Al Kittredge
SRTU VP

Woolly Bugger

good work Al, we can only hope that involvement will bring about change  ;hb
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!