News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SOHO

Started by troutphisher, October 20, 2007, 22:00:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the Soho today with Pete P and Brudog. The weather was perfect about 65 this morning when we started. The water was gin clear and the fish were rising.
We fished a new area, that had a long slack water pool, followed by some good riffles and runs.

When we arrived at our spot, Pete and Bru headed down the the riffles and runs, and I stayed in the slow slack water. We could see fish holding even in the shallows.

I tied on a size 16 black zebra midge and cast into the center of the stream. The clear conditions and slow water made it a little tough, but I soon managed some nice browns. I fished this fly for about an hour, then changed to a mighty might nymph pattern, that is a real good pattern as of late. I cast up into a deep run and watched the indicator get pulled under. I set the hook and immediately felt the fish, it was a good brown near 20". It jumped twice, and I had it near, when it made a final run and snapped me off. It was still fun to fight this fish.

In the afternoon, I switched flies to a cinnamon caddis size 18, after I noticed a good caddis hatch coming off. I cast near the head of the riffles where the river split and created to good seams. I saw the fish sip the fly, and it was a good rainbow, about 18". It put up a good fight and made several hard runs, pulling drag twice. I manged to get it in the slow water and brought it to hand. It had really dark markings and colors.

I moved down stream to see if Bru and Pete were into fish. They both caught good numbers of rainbows and browns.

We moved to another spot down river, and ended the day with several more fish each.
It was good to be on the water, and fish with friends. This was Pete's first time on the soho, and he did well.

here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

As always an excellent report! Now I wish I was headed over to the S. Ho. but the smallie float tomorrow should prove to be most excellent! I'm going to get over there soon, hopefully THIS month...  ;hb Phish you da man!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

Can't wait to go back!  Thanks again Phish and Bru for showing me around
Peter

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: peter p on October 20, 2007, 22:36:13 PM
Can't wait to go back!  Thanks again Phish and Bru for showing me around

Tell us more about your first S. Ho. trip PP....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

I am sworn to secrecy on a lot of the trip.  But here is what I can share.  It was nice to cast and not have to worry about catching a tree on the back cast.  The size and the openness of the stream reminded me a lot of fishing out West.  It was also nice to consistently catch some decent size wild fish that appear to like to get airborn.  I bet 75% of all my hookups included some sort of aerial show.

Peter

Trout Chaser

Sounds like a great day on the water.  My Satruday was filled with youth soccer and finishing up the annual budget for work. Tomorrow more soccer.  Keep the reports coming 0--0

TC

brownhunter

Excellent report and thanks for posting some pics.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Brudog

Good times guys...lets go again soon. Not bad when you can catch big fish in 4 inches of water ;hb
"...I play real sports, not try to be the best at exercising! " K. Powers