News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Stone Mt. Oct. 5, 2007

Started by phg, October 09, 2007, 20:39:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phg

As some of you know, a few weeks ago, I took a rather bad fall, while scrambling over some rip-rap, and cracked my knee.  Because of this, my wife absolutely refused to let me go to the fall show.  If I was good, and my knee permitted it, she promised, she'd take me somewhere that weekend where I could fish without putting undue strain on the knee.

Reluctantly, I had to agree that camping and hiking in the GSMP was probably a bit more than I needed to be doing 4 weeks into my recovery, so I agreed.

Friday, true to her word, we were up at 6am, and after a half hour of loading up, were headed west to Stone Mt.  Of all the places I know to fish, I had to admit that the E.Fork Roaring Fork was probably the most accessible.  The three hour drive over was pleasant enough.  I had somebody to talk to for a change, and we had a picnic lunch to enjoy, and the prospect of driving a few miles on the BRP, in all, not a bad second best plan.

We got to Stone Mt. around 10, and, to my surprise, it wasn't crowded.  There were, perhaps, a dozen fishermen, but they were well spread out, and several prime holes had no one.  After a quick stop at the nearest restroom, we headed back downstream to find a spot.  As we came up to Garden Creek, though, 2 cars pulled in, one from each direction.  We continued on to the end of the pavement, but a car was already in the gravel parking lot, and a truck was pulling in off the road.  On downstream we went to the big rock.  To my surprise, no one was there.  Anyone who knows Stone Mt. should recognize the hole.

I rigged up and hobbled into position.  Meanwhile Judy got out the camera and proceeded to amuse herself.  I started by fishing over the rock.  After 2 or 3 missed hooksets, Judy called out, "You're too excited, settle down!"
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Chagrined, I slowed down my reaction, and was soon rewarded with my first DH brookie of the season.

A couple more brookies followed,

all on a size 16 orange stimulator.

Noticing some surface action upstream of the rock, I moved to the left, and standing alongside a small tree, worked 30' upstream with pretty fair results.

By now I had taken a fair mix of brookies and rainbows.  Somewhere, along about this time, though, I lost my stimulator.  A hard hit popped the fly off the leader.

Having noticed that the really big fish weren't coming up to play, I decided to tie back on with an orange palmer on top and a nymph dropper.  I started to go with a hare's ear, but then changed my mind and went with a white grub.  I also moved to the downstream side of the rock to fish the tail of the pool.

The grub was incredible!  The palmer got one tentative hit, but the grub got hit on almost every cast!

No real hogs, the biggest running about 14", but in 2 1/2 hours of fishing, I landed at least 20 fish, with the last dozen coming in rapid succession on the grub. 

Easily the best day I've ever had at Stone Mt.  Most of the fish were brookies, but there were about 6 rainbows.  After only 2 hours, though, I began to feel the fatigue.  As much as I hated to admit it, Judy was right, and I wasn't up to a whole weekend of fishing.

Anyway, we packed it in, and headed up onto the BRP for our picnic.  After that we drove on up into VA. and found a small apple orchard where we bought a bushel of apples before heading back home.  Over all, a pretty good day.

tw5270

Nice pics and great report. I need to get the family back up there soon!

troutdawg

Wow!  The ditch looks really low.  I almost did not recognize it.

I use StMSP often for a little bonding with the wife.  She often gets the urge just to hike and I am opposed to pointless walking around (which means there isn't a trout stream at the end).  So we pack a picnic and go there.  She takes the dog for a walk (he loves pointless walking around) and I do a little fishing.  Then we meet for a picnic (which the dog also loves).  Makes for a decent day.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutdawg on October 10, 2007, 08:32:46 AM
Wow!  The ditch looks really low.  I almost did not recognize it.

I use StMSP often for a little bonding with the wife.  She often gets the urge just to hike and I am opposed to pointless walking around (which means there isn't a trout stream at the end).  So we pack a picnic and go there.  She takes the dog for a walk (he loves pointless walking around) and I do a little fishing.  Then we meet for a picnic (which the dog also loves).  Makes for a decent day.

Cool plan, might have to give it a try some time, let the hikers hike and the fishermen fish...

Paul, sorry to hear you injured yourself, hope your recovery is speedy...glad you did get out and even had a pool to yourself.... that hole is usually filled with spinners and the like...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Gofisher

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Gofisher on October 10, 2007, 08:43:30 AM
Nice report and pics.

Yea, nice to have a personal photographer along to document your trip..

where the hell are your Jackson pics Gordo???
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Gofisher

Why don't I just give you the password and you can post em... :P
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Chaser

That's some good rehab Paul!!  Sounds like a nice day.

TC

Bloy

Quote from: phg on October 09, 2007, 20:39:08 PMI started to go with a hare's ear, but then changed my mind and went with a white grub.  I also moved to the downstream side of the rock to fish the tail of the pool.

Sounds like the white grub was a good change.What was your reasoning for switching to the white grub? Thanks!
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

phg

It just caught my eye as I was picking out the hare's ear.  I've had pretty fair luck with it down at Lake Rim, so why not on the Roaring Fork?  I know some people won't use them, but there are actually a lot of white worms, like maggots, yellow Jacket larva, meal worms, etc. that find their way into the water from time to time.  I should also mention that I dropped it pretty deep, a good 36" below my dryfly.

lepomis_mcro

great report ....i was up there yesterday, and was having good luck with a white bow worm fly. till i lost it in some rocks. guess i have to tie up a few more

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/010305fotw.html
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 10, 2007, 16:12:39 PM
great report ....i was up there yesterday, and was having good luck with a white bow worm fly. till i lost it in some rocks. guess i have to tie up a few more

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/010305fotw.html

:D :D That thing looks like it should be illegal!
me -There's a season?

brownhunter

Great report and thanks for sharing.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me