News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Dry water

Started by GROUSEBUGGER, May 13, 2013, 19:34:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GROUSEBUGGER

The South Holston and Watauga have been running full time forever and the valley streams like Whitetop Laurel in Washington County and the South Holston headwater in Smyth County have been constantly flooded beyond fishable levels. At 65 years it is not as easy for me to work the true headwater "creep creeks" as it once was.  I have two questions: first,what are water levels like in different areas in NC, Ga. SC or Eastern slope Virginia? How long does it take your streams to recover from a rain front? Second( third?) what information sources do you have to get streamflow info on-line or otherwise,similar to the TVA web site or USGS Virginia real time streamflow? I am looking for "dry water" and a way to find it.  Thanks

Dougfish

I hate to tell you this, but go high on tight streams and still expect higher than average water. You're going to have physically work for them. Also have a few options nearby, east drainage, west, as back-ups. I fished three streams in VA, east drainages off three different ranges over the weekend. Worked hard, caught fish, slept well. Those streams would be fine today. I use the USGS site as a tool. And I put in the recon work.  0:0