Fatal's Catch on the Jackson!

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 07, 2007, 20:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Gordo, Phish and I had a blast at Shitridge with Al and getting on the river with him was quite an experience. More campfire tales to come

Al caught a feisty little rainbow from the Jackson with a sulfur.

Mason, Gordon and Al telling tales....

Al casting at dusk...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

peter p

All this time i thought Al was some sort of mythical character that only existed in our minds.  Then, BAMM, an actual pitcure!  Thanks for sharing WB. 
Peter

Gofisher

He actually hooked into a second one minutes later, but as WB would say, " A little less pepper on ther hookset."   ;D  ;)
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Gofisher on October 08, 2007, 10:24:34 AM
He actually hooked into a second one minutes later, but as WB would say, " A little less pepper on ther hookset."   ;D  ;)

Yeah, he put the full power of that '49 into that hookset, if the fish had been any smaller it would have launched into the next county!

btw gordo, did you notice your new avatar?    ;D :P
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Gofisher

flyman

Quote from: peter p on October 08, 2007, 10:06:33 AM
All this time i thought Al was some sort of mythical character that only existed in our minds.  Then, BAMM, an actual pitcure!  Thanks for sharing WB. 

He looks just like I though he would. A one eyed redneck hillbilly wearing overhauls and a camo ball cap....................good lord :-X. You couldn't make something up more sterotypical if you tried. The scary thing is for those of you that don't know; he has forgotten more about life, boo rods, and fishing than many of us will ever know collectively.
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Trout Maharishi

Me and the Dali Lama need to make that pilgrimage one day to meet the holy man of shit ridge 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

brownhunter

Nice fish, Al. Glad you were able to play host to these gentleman once again, even if one did bring a plastic rod :P
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Gofisher

Quote from: brownhunter on October 08, 2007, 12:22:30 PM
Nice fish, Al. Glad you were able to play host to these gentleman once again, even if one did bring a plastic rod :P

More than one... :o

natureboy

Glad yall had a good one, good to see Al out there showing yall how it's done. 

Damselfly

Looking at pic#2....one of the fellows looks like he knows what he's doing, but never, EVER misjudge a Southern man in overalls!!

Glad y'all had fun!

natureboy

Bumping this one in light of today's news.  Sorry to hear about ol Al.  Sip poured.  Never met him, but he was one of a kind.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 08, 2007, 12:16:04 PM
Me and the Dali Lama need to make that pilgrimage one day to meet the holy man of shit ridge 8)

too late...

jis say'in
me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

I do regret the decision I made about that. I though some how keeping him at arm's length would soften the blow. There was a time in my life that i didn't want to get to know anyone too well, or become friends and start liking them. It was always easier somehow if the dead person next to you wasn't a friend. :-\ I don't know how he lived as long as he did. True to form the old bastard got his way, cremate the body, and no service. RIP Allen Sales, maybe we will meet one day yet.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

I remember that day well.......

Al watched us fish, and of course criticized the way some fished.. :D......Then he say's to me, Phish rig up my old rod (the 49'er) and put one of them dry yellow flies on for me.

After a few back cast into the weeds (tall grass), I stepped up grab the fly, pinching it between index and thumb, walked off about 20 paces of line behind Al, held the fly over head, and told him to Let it rip........

He placed the fly in the middle of the river and mended the line a couple of times to keep the fly moving at the same pace as the current, it was a perfect drift, then the quick take, AL set the hook like he'd done a thousand times before, very little effort really, letting the fish almost set itself.

I went down the bank and netted the fish for him, holding it up so he could see the fruits of his labor.
The look on his face was priceless, grinning from ear to ear, and giving me ( the I still got it nod........)

Then we talked about the synthetic silk line I had on the reel, and he liked the way it mended and how supply it was.
I could see then he really missed fishing. Told me again how he'd thought the 49'er was a good mending rod, and really a good rod for this river.

I hope where ever he is, it's near water and trout, and he's holding a spot for me when I get there.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.