New River Smallmouth 10/1/07, 10/2/07 and a couple of weeks ago

Started by marty, October 04, 2007, 05:34:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

marty

fished the lower New monday and tuesday (with the spin rod) got a 39 fish monday (sounds like like alot of fish but it was a little slow in the morning) with a 17 incher, along with a couple of 15-16 inchers but got this nice 20 incher late in the day.
Day 2 we landed 54 fish including a beast of a 19 incher that weighed 4lb 2oz, he was like me.....not real tall but fat  ;D
and 2 we got a couple of weeks ago, late september a fat boy measuring 20 inches and a decent 19 incher
Marty Shaffner
Tri-State Angler Guide Service
www.tristateangler.com

Oldman

flyinhigh

marty

how's this  :P kim and i floated 2 times with the fly rod this summer, 2 citations.  smallmouth bass are notoriously moody, wanting only what they want and how they want it. sometimes this isn't very condusive to fly fishing and also not everyone fly fishes some clients want to spin fish. while on the subject i'm often surprised by the misconception that to catch a big fish on a spin rod all you got to do is throw it in  ??? now fishing with live bait this might have some truth to it but spin fishing with lures it isn't. in the spin fishing the old saying "10% of the fisherman catch 90% of the fish" holds true. you still have to be able to cast to a specific spot and know how to work the lure (or follow the guides instructions). to consistantly catch big river smallies takes skill and knowledge whether fly or spin. just thought i'd post the pics of some nice fish we'd caught i'm sure some people will enjoy them, and apparently some won't  ;D
p.s. at least i was up front on the spinning rod, i'm sure there are lots of pics (of smallies especially) posted around that are caught on the spin gear
Marty Shaffner
www.tristateangler.com

flyinhigh

Good for you. :-* I'm impressed. ::)

But, I thought this was a flyfishing forum. ???

marty

Quote from: flyinhigh on October 05, 2007, 17:50:42 PM

you should be!
let's see, apparently you were offended by pics of non-fly caught fish being posted on this FLY FISHING FORUM, so i posted a couple of pics of fly caught fish on this FLY FISHING FORUM with an explanation of why some of my smallmouth bass are spin caught but apparently this did compensate for your pain or answer your question about isn't this a FLY FISHING FORUM,
So, let's try this,THIS IS A FLY FISHING FORUM, i'm so very sorry i offended you by posting pictures of fish caught on a spinning rod on this FLY FISHING FORUM for this IS a FLY FISHING FORUM, i'll try to never taint this FLY FISHING FORUM with unpure fish caught on a spin tackle on this FLY FISHING FORUM in the future? probably not, so in the future i wouldn't look at any of my warmwater reports on this FLY FISHING FORUM because it is possible that they could be non fly caught fish being post on this FLY FISHING FORUM. now if you'll accept my condolences on offending you we can go on my way and I can both go back to enjoying this FLY FISHING FORUM
Marty Shaffner
www.tristateangler.com

Woolly Bugger

Hey noob.. It' the Blue Ridge Fly Fisherman's Forum and that would be ME! :)

who made you a moderator andway?

Marty... we appreciate all the fishing reports. . .  . keep on posting.   
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Quote from: marty on October 05, 2007, 18:41:43 PM

you should be!
let's see, apparently you were offended by pics of non-fly caught fish being posted on this FLY FISHING FORUM, so i posted a couple of pics of fly caught fish on this FLY FISHING FORUM with an explanation of why some of my smallmouth bass are spin caught but apparently this did compensate for your pain or answer your question about isn't this a FLY FISHING FORUM,
So, let's try this,THIS IS A FLY FISHING FORUM, i'm so very sorry i offended you by posting pictures of fish caught on a spinning rod on this FLY FISHING FORUM for this IS a FLY FISHING FORUM, i'll try to never taint this FLY FISHING FORUM with unpure fish caught on a spin tackle on this FLY FISHING FORUM in the future? probably not, so in the future i wouldn't look at any of my warmwater reports on this FLY FISHING FORUM because it is possible that they could be non fly caught fish being post on this FLY FISHING FORUM. now if you'll accept my condolences on offending you we can go on my way and I can both go back to enjoying this FLY FISHING FORUM

marty, is it ok if i bring a flyrod thursday?  0--0

lookin' fwd to fishin with ya and hammy.....

wally gatah
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

flyinhigh

never said I was offended by anything anyone posted. I couldn't care less how you fish. It does however seem that you feel some need to apoligize for some of your fishing methods. Too bad for that.

But I did think this was a flyfishing forum.

jkilday4

Nice fish as usual!

I use both fly and spinning gear for smallmouths...whatever it takes...it's good to be able to change things up.  Honestly, some days the flyrod casting rhythm just might not be there or I may not have the energy to do all the casting & the spinning gear is a good option!  And learning and staying on top of all the ways you can spin-fish is a tough discipline in of itself.

Marty, if I might ask, what types of lures were employed on the catches?

marty

Quote from: flyinhigh on October 08, 2007, 15:34:16 PM
never said I was offended by anything anyone posted. I couldn't care less how you fish. It does however seem that you feel some need to apoligize for some of your fishing methods. Too bad for that.

But I did think this was a flyfishing forum.
i was making fun of you, glad you were sharp enough to catch it. i never fish in any way i have to apoligize for. i was up front about the spinning rod. no use to lie about how you caught'm, i could've said we caught'm on a fly rod and no one would have known any different
p.s. i looked up your 10 or so posts on this forum and they've all been demeaning posts putting down someone everytime you post. we all know your type, you have no info on your profile so you remain unknown. people like you invent this online persona, come on a forum to put other people down and try to make others think you are this great fountain of knowledge. if you have to try and make someone else look bad to try and make yourself look good, you must not be too good  ??? try to contribute something of worth
Marty Shaffner
www.tristateangler.com

marty

Quote from: jkilday4 on October 08, 2007, 17:14:23 PM
  And learning and staying on top of all the ways you can spin-fish is a tough discipline in of itself.
Marty, if I might ask, what types of lures were employed on the catches?
to excel at spin fishing takes ALMOST as much skill/knowledge as fly fishing. to answer your question mostly tube jigs
Marty Shaffner
www.tristateangler.com

flyinhigh

QuoteMarty said: p.s. i looked up your 10 or so posts on this forum and they've all been demeaning posts putting down someone everytime you post. must not be too good  ??? try to contribute something of worth
[/b]
Apparently any post that you're not in agreement with would be demeaning? Maybe posts should require approval of a moderator prior to posting on the board.
We all know people like you. Have turned a pastime into a job and are attempting to convince people that they need to hire you in order to catch fish. Fish 300 days per year, catch a few decent fish and continue to post the same pictures year after year in the hopes of luring in some suckers customers.

brownhunter

Quote from: flyinhigh on October 09, 2007, 10:41:49 AM
Marty said: p.s. i looked up your 10 or so posts on this forum and they've all been demeaning posts putting down someone everytime you post. must not be too good  ??? try to contribute something of worth
Apparently any post that you're not in agreement with would be demeaning? Maybe posts should require approval of a moderator prior to posting on the board.
We all know people like you. Have turned a pastime into a job and are attempting to convince people that they need to hire you in order to catch fish. Fish 300 days per year, catch a few decent fish and continue to post the same pictures year after year in the hopes of luring in some suckers customers.

That's pretty low right there, and probably shouldn't be said. That is that man's livelihood.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me