Tactics for fishing the current low water conditions?

Started by FL_Fishing_Fanatic, October 02, 2007, 08:35:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout_boy_II

Excellent post Fire-Fly.  And unfortunately, it's not just us grandfathers that should be taking your advice. 

Sorry for your loss, but what grand memories you must have.

TB

Psycho_Fisher

natives: fish high and carry a thermometer... if the water is >68, consider fishing elsewhere or hiking further up.  Low water doesn't stress the trout; low-oxygen is the problem.  This is partially related to flow, but more related to water temperature as that is what determines the amount of oxygen the water will hold.  If the temps are right, the fish are fine... this assuming you're not fishing a "ditch/blue-line"... even I've stayed off these since June due to no water, and I'm a selfish SOB when it comes to fish. lol

As far as stocked waters... and I mean ANY AND ALL stocked waters... knock yerself out: the worm-dunkers are gonna get them next spring if you don't before them.  ;)
Tight Lines & Put-Em-Back!

Trout Maharishi

There are other factors to consider besides just low oxygen levels and high water temps. The extent of this drought has probably had a major impact on the fish populations.  The fish are more susceptible to predation, there is  more competion for a reduced food supply, cannibalism has probably all but wiped out a year or two class of fish, and they are more likely to develop disease. In addition the flows are so low at this point that  it very well could affect the fall spawn. Places that they have traditionally spawned may not be available to them. They need flowing water to have successful spawing season, not just pools and trickles of water.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutdawg

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on October 05, 2007, 10:40:04 AM
In addition the flows are so low at this point that  it very well could affect the fall spawn. Places that they have traditionally spawned may not be available to them. They need flowing water to have successful spawing season, not just pools and trickles of water.

I agree.  The fish are going to be highly concentrated in deeper pools or anywhere a spring comes into the stream (which is why it is really easier than following the stocking truck to fish in these conditions, if you know what you are doing).  However, many of these places are not good spawning habitat.  Even those that are, there is a lot less territory for the fish that are trying.  We won't know for a while, but I think the surveys in the future will prove T.M. correct.

FL_Fishing_Fanatic

Just got back from my trip, had a great time. The water levels are really low but some more so than others. To be honest, some areas werent as bad as I expected but some were worse.

I stuck mainly to DH waters, fished 4 different ones, I had good luck at all but the Tuck, which was strange. But then I didnt give it much of a chance, only fished it for 2 hours with 2 fish, saw 4 others only pull up 2 in that same time. The Tuck isnt my favorite anyways. Went to the Nantahala had a 26 fish day.

Had good luck at the Nantahala and East Fork French Broad. Water levels were low but not too bad.

Thanks all for great advice.

Heres some pics:
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Woolly Bugger

Glad to hear you had a good trip! Got some nice brookie stockers there.  ;hb

Next time spend some more time on the Tuck, she holds a lot of fish!!!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jscagline

Good looking brookies, but man, I love that brown!  Looks like a Loch Leven strain.....wouldn't that be cool!
The truth hurts but not as much as a gas guzzling, eco wrecking SUV hitting you at 100 MPH!  Yeah baby, yeah!

gonefishin

Glad you had a good mancation, nice fish. As Woowee said next time give the Tuck more of a chance

phg

Just the other day, I was wondering how the E. Fork was holding up.  Glad you had a good urn. 

lipripper

Good to see a stream with water in it! Nice pictures too.

lr