Question regarding fishing in Blowing Rock region

Started by mike123, September 27, 2005, 20:54:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike123

Hi I was wondering if anybody would be willing to share info regarding fishing around Blowing Rock. I'll be visiting NC at the end of October and will bring a 6 weight(?) with me. I  never really did any trout fishing.  ???. and would like to at least get some taste of it :D. If anybody ever needs info regarding catching snook, tarpon or peacockbass in South florida I will be than happy to point you into some productive spots.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks Mike

Woolly Bugger

Mike that 6wt is going to be a bit heavy for the mountain trout around blowing rock.

Here is a map of the trout streams in Watauga county.
http://216.27.49.98/pg03_Fishing/watauga.pdf

The delayed harvest water on the Watauga River would be a good bet.

You may also want to consider a trip over to the TN tailwaters, the S. Holsten and Watauga Rivers.

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

walt

Hi Mike,

IMO, a 6wt is too big for fishing the streams around BR. You can use it on the Delayed Harvest waters of the Watauga River along hwy 105 in Foscoe or on the DH stretch of the Watauga in Valle Crucis behind the historic Mast General Store.... both of those destinations are a short 15 to 20 minute drive from BR.

Along hwy 105 in Foscoe, there are two fly shops, Appalachian Angler and Foscoe Fishing Company. Either one can help you out with flies and such.

For your 6wt, I'd suggest a 9' 4x leader with either 4x or 5x tippet attached. Tie on one of the old Watauga trout catchers, a yellah wooly buggah, and you'll have a memorable day catching trout.

Good Luck and how is Snapper Creek fishin'?  8)

walt
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Irish

Mike,

When are you coming up.  I have the weekend available the end of Oct and may be able to show you some spots.

Irish Dave SE council President Federation of Fly Fishers and a visitor to south FL more than once.

moodytrout

mike123

Thank you all guys I very much appreciate all your help. Looking forward to see what this stream fishing is all about. :)
Mike