News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Eye on the New...

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 21, 2007, 07:38:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I've been watching the river gages on the South Fork and at Galax and determined that the water should be clear by Thursday, knowing that I'll have to work Friday and through the weekend, I made the necessary arraignments and headed up to the river after noon.

When I arrived I realized that others had the same idea. Two spin fishermen were working up above the bridge and an kayak was floating downstream. As I was rigging up a large bass took something off the surface just downstream of the bridge in a deep pool. Even thought the water was quite clear I tied on a black gurgler an worked the water. Nothing stirred and I moved upstream to the ledges which I usually find productive. The spin guys were working there way back downstream, I hit the usual pools and eddies with out any luck, so I changed to a chartreuse gurgler and started getting hits, but I couldn't set the hook, I was getting frustrated, and annoyed after seeing a large smallie take the fly and having it become unbuttoned in just a few seconds. I fished on as the wind picked up and made fishing and wading more difficult. I had no less than six fish on the line and missed as many hits... I moved my tongue to the other side of my mouth as my mojo wasn't working.

My alarm went off and it was time to go....

Take a look at the video to see what I caught....... o-o

New River Day
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Chaser

LOL.... at least you were fishing.   0--0

TC

phg

:-[ o-o

...been there, done that.... 8@S

Oldman

That video was a real stinker.

flyman

How long did you fish with that fly before you realized the hook point was broken off ??? I usually look after about the 2nd or 3rd missed strike ;D
Yea, I'm redneck, so what!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: flyman on September 21, 2007, 15:23:33 PM
How long did you fish with that fly before you realized the hook point was broken off ??? I usually look after about the 2nd or 3rd missed strike ;D

way, way, way too long!  It just didn't cross my mind this time at all....  o-o o-o
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

walt

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on September 21, 2007, 07:38:46 AM
I've been .... Take a look at the video to see what I caught....... o-o

New River Day

i feel yer pain..... although, highly entertainin'   0--0

wally, gawd i hate that... obladee....
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

croaker

Grand Video o o oh, Keith! 

I been down them roads once or twice...
Likewise fishin' wid a bug like dat  o-o

Down here we call it fishing on credit  0--0
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

kylemc

Grateful Dead on the way to fish="fishin on credit"

Beetle

I fished the New yesterday just below Mouth of Wilson.  The water is low and clear but navigable.

With the low water and fall approaching, we found most fish schooled up in the deeper holes.  One hole in particular held several 18" + fish.  Two guys fishing behind us caught a 46" muskie.  We saw two more later in the afternoon- one that was around 42".

The fishing was a little slow thanks to the sun and heat.  We fished topwater and streamers- neither proved more effective than the other.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Beetle on September 26, 2007, 09:41:47 AM
I fished the New yesterday just below Mouth of Wilson.  The water is low and clear but navigable.

With the low water and fall approaching, we found most fish schooled up in the deeper holes.  One hole in particular held several 18" + fish.  Two guys fishing behind us caught a 46" muskie.  We saw two more later in the afternoon- one that was around 42".

The fishing was a little slow thanks to the sun and heat.  We fished topwater and streamers- neither proved more effective than the other.

After I get some work done around the house I;m gonna sneak off for some evening fishing... :)

me -There's a season?

Discomidge

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login