What's up with SA's Sharkskin Fly Line

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 09, 2007, 19:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

@ $100  ;D yes $100 for a fly line!!!

Who's going to be the first to try it?

I'll bet Peddler will give it a go on his BIIX  ;D

Walt, send me a sample..... lol ;)

QuoteNEW! SCIENTIFIC ANGLERS "SHARKSKIN" ULTIMATE TROUT TAPER FLY LINES - Sharkskin technology is a precise texturing process that embosses the surface of the fly line coating with a repeating geometric micro-pattern to achieve surface interface properties that mimic nature - such as the ability of insects to walk on water and the shedding and self-cleaning ability of Lotus leaves. The finished surface is no longer smooth, no longer exhibits unwanted line flash, and yields greatly improved line-to-water floatation, casting performance, and overall line suppleness and durability. Sharkskin changes the meniscus force balance that up until now, holds all other floating fly lines at close to a neutral buoyancy within the line-water interface... essentially 1/2 the line is above the surface and 1/2 the line is below the surface. Sharkskin's micro texture greatly increases the upward meniscus force through a combination of the water's interaction with the new surface and the trapping of air into the valleys of the texture. The result is an over 200% improvement in resistance of the line to be forced into the water... .effectively improving "floatation" of the line significantly beyond anything that can be achieved through addition of glass bubbles or surface chemistries. The line sits higher in the water - less drag, easier mending, easier roll casting, easier pick-ups, and less water spray. Line friction in the guides is reduced significantly, shoot distance is increased allowing longer, easier casts - even on the hottest days, or when the line is dirty. The engineered micro-repeating pattern effectively introduces flex points that increase the suppleness of the line, and in lab testing, the durability and resistance to cracking is up to 3X greater than all other lines tested. WF3F thru WF8F in COLORS: (1)Chartreuse, (2)Blue-Heron. $99.95
•   Super Shoot-ability - vastly reduced friction through the rod guides
•   Improved Floatation - Micro-textured surface traps air
•   Increased durability - Shark Skin lines employ a SUPER HARD coating and last 3X longer than conventional lines yet retains its suppleness
•   SA STREAMLINED "FACTORY-LOOP" INSTALLED
•   This line "SINGS" through the guides!!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Peddler

I had a chance to cast it for a little while Today at Walts place. Not enough to see if it floats better or helps cast longer.
I expected the bumps to be bigger than they are. They're almost microscopic.
Unless they put a long-ass warranty on it, I don't think this Peddler'll be popping for it any time soon.
It does indeed sing through the guides!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

troutdawg

QuoteIncreased durability - Shark Skin lines employ a SUPER HARD coating and last 3X longer than conventional lines yet retains its suppleness

It lasts three times longer than a regular line, so it is a bargain at $100.  The marketing folks wouldn't make that up, would they?

launchone

It seems like a pretty sorry deal for a trout rod, but it might be more feasible with a saltwater set up as those lines run a bit more anyway. Thats still pretty steep for a gimmick