News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Albie Lines

Started by flatlander, September 13, 2007, 09:40:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flatlander

Walt's post has me daydreaming about albie fishing.  I need to replace some itermediate lines.  Been using the SA striper lines.  Theythrow well, seem to like cold water, and don't tangle too badly in the stripping basket.  I've heard good things about the Rio Outbound lines.  I can see where the clear tip on the intermediate line might be an advantage.  What are you guys fishing?

walt

Quote from: Malcolm Robertson on September 13, 2007, 09:40:39 AM
Walt's post has me daydreaming about albie fishing.  I need to replace some itermediate lines.  Been using the SA striper lines.  Theythrow well, seem to like cold water, and don't tangle too badly in the stripping basket.  I've heard good things about the Rio Outbound lines.  I can see where the clear tip on the intermediate line might be an advantage.  What are you guys fishing?

you po bastid, i got that dang itch myself..... and the only salve is still two long months away.

on my 10 wt setup, i've fished the cortland lil tunny intermediate... not a bad choice at all.

on the 9 wt i have the sa striper intermediate and it also performs very well.

for this season i may try a 100% floater or a floater with a intermediate tip. the fly (btw, chocklett's gummy minnows flat-out slay 'em) doesn't really need to get down far and i'm thinking i'll have faster line pickup for a recast. however, in wave action that may not be the ticket... dunno the answer, going to experiment.

i have learned this 'lil trick though..... when those albies are bustin', there is a whole lot of wounded/stunned baitfish just driftin' around..... i caught a bunch of albies with the gummy dead drifted..... but what the hay, a bunch with a fastassed retrieve also  ;D

dun scratch too much, you'll scab  ;)

wally
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

launchone

Malcolm,
I like the SA streamer express and the SA Striper Line Intermediate....I think the streamer express casts extremely well and I have a 250 on my 10 and a striper line on the 9, or the other way around depending. I will also take a 350....If you are interested in some new lines let me know. I worked at a fly shop that does some really good braided mono loops that I (and many others) will swear by.

flatlander

Thanks Paul,
I've been using the SA Striper Intermediate lines and like them.  Also have an assortment of the Streamer Express lines in various weights.  Have you thrown the Outbound Intermediate with the clear tip?  I started using the Rio Aqualux lines (with a clear tip) for tarpon this year and they worked out well.  I can see where a clear tip might be advantageous on albies when they get finicky.  I had heard good things about the Outbound, but yesterday I talked to somebody who told me that Rio had experienced some problems with them. Guess I'll stick with the SA Striper line.

launchone

I haven't used the Aqualux lines, not for lack of appreciation, but for lack of need. I purchased the entire line of Streamer express lines when they came out and have been pretty satisfied. The clear tip is an interesting idea, but I don't really know about the utility. It seems to me that they all end up showing to some degree, but I can see where it would be really advantagious for tarpon applications. That being said, I don't care for the newer SA striper line with the solid mono core versus the older design with the braided mono core. Apparently they switched b/c there were a lot of complaints about the running line getting tangled, so they increased the diameter and went with the new "surf" color. The older line was great for casting a long distance, and a simple collapseable (sp?) yard waste bucked with a ring of egg sinkers in the bottom on the boat deck cleared the tangles. From my experience with the Rio lines, their use of a solid core that requires stretching each time you fish is slightly tedious but really does a great deal for preventing tangles and keeps the line without memory coil. I don't think you can go wrong with either, just don't buy the coldwater version or you will have wasted $60.