News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Casting Practice cut short

Started by troutphisher, September 09, 2007, 18:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I was casting a new Bamboo rod this afternoon and had to stop for fear of snagging Humming birds. I almost got one tangled in the leader on a back cast.
I cast the rod and felt extra weight on the start of the forward cast, and looked back to see a hummer in the leader I immediately stoped the cast and the hummer managed to free itself before the line hit the ground.

I purchased a 1949 Orvis rod from AL, this rod is exceptional. It's a 8ft 3-7/8oz 6wt rod. Orvis didn't make many of these. This rod is near mint condition, and I Plan to fish it often when the water comes back up.

Anyways, I put down the rod and picked up the camera for some hummer shots. I built a 13 x 13 hexagon gazebo from scratch and planted all native and some not native vines and flowers to attract humming birds.

I sit in the gazebo every day just before dusk, to get the hummer's used to seeing me. They now fly within inches of me and I can take some very close up shots at the feeder and on flowers. It never ceases to amaze me, their ability to hover and fly back wards, they truly are little green gems. I can sit for hours and watch them jockey for position at the feeders and flowers. I put up enough feeders, so they don't actually have to fight, but they are very territorial, and will defend a good feeding spot.

Here are some pic I took this afternoon of the hummingbirds at the feeder.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Trout Maharishi

What beautiful little birds you have. I bet they would tie some very nice small soft hackles >:D Nice shiny little green feathers 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutjedi

Karl, you have smoked yourself retarded again haven't you?

;D ;D ;D

Devinsdad

walt

Quote from: troutphisher on September 09, 2007, 18:22:28 PM
I.... Anyways, I put down the rod and picked up the camera for some hummer shots. I built a 13 x 13 hexagon gazebo from scratch and planted all native and some not native vines and flowers to attract humming birds.

I sit in the gazebo every day just before dusk, to get the hummer's used to seeing me. They now fly within inches of me and I can take some very close up shots at the feeder and on flowers. It never ceases to amaze me, their ability to hover and fly back wards, they truly are little green gems. I can sit for hours and watch them jockey for position at the feeders and flowers. I put up enough feeders, so they don't actually have to fight, but they are very territorial, and will defend a good feeding spot.

Here are some pic I took this afternoon of the hummingbirds at the feeder.

sweet.... when i was residing up at my foscoe shak a few years ago, i wouldn't weedwhak the native flowers (read weeds) cuz i learned come late spring and all the way thru fall, a plethora of these 'lil jewels would entertain the heck out of me whilst i relaxed and imbibed on the porch.... beats the hell out of the boob tube for entertainment....
"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Gofisher

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

troutphisher

Quote from: troutjedi on September 09, 2007, 23:07:24 PM
Karl, you have smoked yourself retarded again haven't you?

;D ;D ;D

Nope, I know where the stupid line is, and I know how many dummy bisquits it takes to cross that line.
I aint no amature!  ;D ;D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

pelcrk

It's all good drifts