Know your guide!

Started by Woolly Bugger, September 05, 2007, 16:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Each state has its own sets of requirements for guide licenses. Some are basic and others more comprehensive.

Guides that offer services in the U.S. National Forest and Great Smoky Mountains National Park require special permits.

The National Forests in North Carolina website has a listing of outfitter guides, including fishing, that are under permit with the National Forests in North Carolina.  I have provided the link below.   

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/recreation/outfitters/fishing_hunting.htm

For the Great Smoky Mountains National Park a link to "Commercial Use Authorizations listed by type of service" is available at the bottom of the page at http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/businesswithpark.htm
Fishing Guides are listed here: http://www.nps.gov/grsm/parkmgmt/upload/CUAs%20Type-of-service.pdf
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

supaflyGSR

good info! That should be quite useful...i applaud you 0--0

walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

pinu2

My daughter has been working at Curtis Wright Outfitters since about May and is considering guiding.  She has helped on a couple of group trips so far.  Do we have any female guides that post on the board?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: pinu2 on September 26, 2007, 12:44:56 PM
My daughter has been working at Curtis Wright Outfitters since about May and is considering guiding.  She has helped on a couple of group trips so far.  Do we have any female guides that post on the board?

Damselfly post on occasion, however she's no longer a full-time pro guide... just an occasional friendly trip...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

moodytrout

Great idea WB- thanks for sharing 0--0

Woolly Bugger

UPDATE: Missouri man dead at Buffalo River was in group led by unlicensed guide

In a report released on Monday evening, Sheriff Glenn Wheeler of the Newton County Sheriff's Office said that the man was part of a group being led by a man from Bentonville that was discovered to be operating a guide service without a license or insurance, and that "this was not the first incident the illegal guide had been involved in recently."

Quote"This man brings people to the Buffalo River and other parts of Newton County and takes them into some of the most rugged terrain in the Ozarks. It appears they don't always know what they are getting into. Just last Saturday, a person he was leading was injured and he left her in the woods. We responded with a full rescue team who put themselves in jeopardy to help her, just like they did with Mr. Thomas. They do it because they love it and have servants' hearts. But, none of that never would have been necessary if this man had not led them into areas that was possibly beyond their preparation levels. Then to leave an injured 'client' is just absurd!

Sheriff Glenn Wheeler, Newton County Sheriff's Office
Rangers have responded to multiple hiking accidents in the Indian Creek drainage over the past month, according to the report. Sheriff Wheeler said his office is working with the National Park Service to determine the best course of action.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/update-missouri-man-dead-at-buffalo-river-was-in-group-led-by-unlicensed-guide/ar-AAX790T?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=b5c99e9152664d82cb87f77a2c77ac57

me -There's a season?

Trout Maharishi

OMFG! The no insurance and license thing is more common than you would ever believe. You don't see it that much in the GSMNP but in the national forest it's common. Then when something happens good luck with you or your estate ever recouping any loses. -p-
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski