inflatable PFDs

Started by Bob, August 17, 2007, 13:58:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob

Does anyone have any experience with inflatable PFDs using CO2 cartriges?  Is it true that once the cartrige is loaded it will leak its contents in a few days?  Can the cartribe be removed to prevent this leakage or must they be changed every time you use them?  Any brand recommendations.  I have a toon and wade off it, so presume that I should avoid auto inflate models--or can this feature be disabled (auto inflate is a desirable feature as I get older).   8@S

Woolly Bugger

I started diving before BCD's were available, we dove with a life jacket that was co2 inflatable or mouth tube.. We greased up the co2 cartridge and left it in place. The only time it was deployed was after a buddy and i were free diving to about 60 ft and pulled an old ship's wheel off of the bottom, we had a 100 yrd swimm back to shore and we inflated our vest to help carry the load.

I can't imagine that the SOS suspender/inflatable wading devices would not be similar in nature, load the cartridge and only change after it's deployed....

http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=00R8&dir_id=758&group_id=792&cat_id=7894&subcat_id=6021&adv=12082&cm_mmc=Froogle*Prod_feeds*Prod_feeds*12082&bhcp=1

Give orvis a call and let us know what they say... buy one and try it out...!!!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Gofisher

I have one but haven't had to deploy it yet. Just found out from TWRA last weekend that it has to be worn to be legal in a canoe or boat. Regular pfd's just need to be within reach.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Bob

Just did a live chat with Orvis and the clerk responded that it would not leak--thanks for the suggestion :P.  I think I want the suspender type as opposed to this one that Orvis has...I already have love-hate relationships with chest packs and don't think I want add to my  o-o  .  Gofisher, who is the TWRA?  BTW, I'm not looking to be legal, just safter.  When I go down some of the whitewater in my fishcat toon I sometimes have some misgivings about not having a PFD on.  I also have had instances wading when I thought I should have worn it. 

Al

I have an SOS brand that is the suspender type - Have to yank it to deploy - have not had to do that yet.

What I like about it is that I wear it all the time when in my boat - didn't know about the legal requirement until I read this thread. It is so comfortable that it just makes sense to wear it all the time even in hot weather where the old cork stuffed ones are impractical.

Like I said I have not had to deploy it but it makes me feel good when I am on the Roanoke chasing stripers and the water is up and running - if you go over board in those conditions you are going for a long ride.

I might note that all the NCWRC folks wear SOS suspender types whenever they are on the water.

Gofisher

Bob, TWRA...Tennesse Wildlife & Resource Agency...They patrol the waters I fish in a Riverhawk. Al, I have the SOS suspenders as well and they are comfortable enough to wear all day. I should probably change out the co2 if I don't use it soon, I'm not sure of their shelf life. It also has the manual blow up tube.

Woolly Bugger

un screw the co2 from time to time and check the firing mechanism w/o cartage installed.

Make sure everything is in working order. !!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Gofisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 19, 2007, 16:55:14 PM
un screw the co2 from time to time and check the firing mechanism w/o cartage installed.

Thank you sir.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Gofisher on August 20, 2007, 08:27:07 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on August 19, 2007, 16:55:14 PM

Thank you sir.

http://www.uscgboating.org/alerts/alertsview.aspx?id=50
me -There's a season?