• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
December 05, 2021, 09:58:28 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Wilson Creek Troubles

Started by richard bernabe, August 15, 2007, 12:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

richard bernabe

I guess many of you all have heard about the possible development along Wilson Creek. Its both sad and tragic, and I hope most of you feel that way about the situation.

Here is a good discussion on another forum (photography, not fly fishing) about the situation and what to do about it. There are links to Caldwell County commissioners where you can write letters or emails to voice your concerns (or maybe not) depending on how you feel about it.

http://tinyurl.com/2qdj3n

It's certainly not a done deal, but it could happen.

Woolly Bugger

It's a sad comment on our time, when the county commissioners are willing to sell out a stream for an increase in the tax base. I think that this is going to come down to dollars. The current tax value of the land w/o development vs. the increased tax value of developed property. Look at what's in there no! Trailers, busses, shacks, outhouses in the flood plane. I'm not in favor of the development, but it's going to be very hard for those commissioners to ignore the money and jobs that this sort of development would bring to the county.

How many of you have fished in the area to be developed? I never have, it's stocked water and I've always headed up stream to the wild water.

Personally I wish the government would buy the property and add it to the national forest.

That being said, I'll send off some letters today....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

August 15, 2007, 12:59:35 PM #2 Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 13:11:18 PM by Woolly Bugger

here's the web-site for the another development!!!!! Geeezzeee

This one's up the road on John's river and hems in Little Wilson Creek!

http://www.thebluffsofwilsoncreek.com/ :o :o :o

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
With a pink hotel, a boutique
And a swinging hot SPOT
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They took all the trees
And put them in a tree museum
And they charged the people
A dollar and a half just to seem 'em
Don't it always seem to go,
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Hey farmer, farmer
Put away that DDT now
Give me spots on my apples
But LEAVE me the birds and the bees
Please!
'Til its gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

Late last night
I heard the screen door slam
And a big yellow taxi
Took away my old man
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

I said
'Til it's gone
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot
They paved paradise
And put up a parking lot

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

richard bernabe

Come on, gimme a break!

I just read on SEFFF that because this does not affect the wild trout water and its only hatchery-supported, this might actually be a good thing??? Are you kidding me? Because it wont be as trashy and now it will get cleaned up? (or something like that). I am shocked. Take off your fly fishing hat for a minute and look at the big picture. This is a federally-designated Wild and Scenic River! How many of these places are left?

Woolly Bugger

August 15, 2007, 14:14:32 PM #4 Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 14:21:05 PM by Woolly Bugger

Hold on Richard...

I wrote my letter! I mentioned the wild and scenic designation and how that massive development would forever change the nature of the river valley, traffic, pollution, run-off and all of that.

I don't think it's a good idea a all, but all I'm saying here is that unless someone else comes up with the money to buy the land, state, feds or nature conservancy organization it's going to be very hard to fight because no matter how much you like the area the way it is, photographers, kayakers, fishermen, hikers don't add to the tax base. If you look at the connection to county commissioners and developers you will find that often they are one and the same.

I'm sure that a lot of emails are being sent from people that don't live in Caldwell County, but I'm sure that they are also getting some from their constituents that are saying "bring it on", "we need the jobs", etc... Who do you think they are going to listen to? The people that elected them, the developers with deep pockets, or a bunch of tree huggers from the big cities! Might they just think "Who are they to tell us how to use our land?"

Take a look at those lots up the road on John's river 10 ac. $225,000+  :o

Quote from: richard bernabe on August 15, 2007, 13:38:32 PM

Come on, gimme a break!

I just read on SEFFF that because this does not affect the wild trout water and its only hatchery-supported, this might actually be a good thing??? Are you kidding me? Because it wont be as trashy and now it will get cleaned up? (or something like that). I am shocked. Take off your fly fishing hat for a minute and look at the big picture. This is a federally-designated Wild and Scenic River! How many of these places are left?

me -There's a season?

richard bernabe

No no no, I wasn' t talking about you, Keith. It was in response to something written over on SEFFF. Check it out..errrrrr...nevermind. Take my word for it.

walt

mstash sent this e-mail out earlier today....

On Monday August 6 the Caldwell County Planning Board passed a zoning request by a Florida developer which would allow him to build 225 houses on a 450 acre plot of land on Wilson creek. This land, on both sides of the creek, runs roughly south of the Harper Creek confluence north to just below the Lost Cove Creek confluence. This is 4.5 road miles as it parallels Wilson  Creek. The developer has requested to build two bridges spanning the creek and multiple road accesses to the development. Despite a one year development moratorium put in place by the Caldwell County Commissioners, the Planning Board, by a 5-4 vote approved this request.
The good news is that the developer must take this request before an open public hearing on Monday August 27 at 6pm. At this hearing the county commissioners will decide the fate of this development.
If you have ever swum, paddled, hiked or fished in this area, and you care anything about the future of Wilson Creek, you need to be at this meeting and let the Caldwell County Commissioners know how you feel.
This development will have disastrous effects upon the Wilson Creek watershed. There will be a huge increase of siltification of the water due to road and lot clearing. This is terrible news for the fish downstream as well as the beauty of a normally crystal clear body of water. Incipient pollution from 225 septic systems , some no further than 100 feet from the creek. The beautiful viewshed will be lost as it is fairly difficult to hide 225 houses. A huge increase in traffic on an already overused, narrow road, (Think 225 times 3 to 4 people in each dwelling.)
Wilson Creek was designated a National Wild and Scenic River seven years ago. In the history of Wild and Scenic Rivers there has never been development of this magnitude allowed after being so designated.
This is a very special place for many reasons and many uses. We need to do what we can to keep it that way. The only people benefitting from deal are the developers!
If you care about this awesome resource then show up at the meeting on August 27 at 6pm in the basement level of the Caldwell County offices. Failing that, write or call them and tell them what a mistake this development is! The more people we have involved and expressing outrage over this issue, the more likely the commissioners are to hear us.
Click here to learn more about how to contact the Caldwell County Commissioners.
The Charlotte Observer has a story on this issue at www.charlotte.com/breaking_news/story/233150.html

If you have been on this stretch - "This land, on both sides of the creek, runs roughly south of the Harper Creek confluence north to just below the Lost Cove Creek confluence. This is 4.5 road miles as it parallels Wilson  Creek. "
of Wilson's, there is quite a bit housing and the "community" of Mortimer. I'm having trouble picturing a development along 4.5 miles through that stretch.

neverless, it would be a shame for it to be developed, as i can forsee many environmental issues that would arise.

i always thought that stretch should be designated delayed harvest. it offers many wide open wadeable western-river-style runs that would be cool for flyfishers and would be a helluva alot better dh water than what is offered here in this region. in the summer months when the water heats up, it would keep the hatchery supported fishermen who has been fishing the area for years in the summer months happy.

btw richard, you never e-mailed me the pics from our trip up there on Wilson's.....  :-\

--walt

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

Discomidge

It's really ashame that Caldwell county lobbied so hard to get Wilson Cr. designated as a Wild and Scenic River only to sell it out.  Maybe that was their agenda all along...get the designation then let some big developers  come in on the private sectors of the river and go to town.  Just think of the selling points...owning a house on a wild and scenic river, a very lucrative proposition...so much so that no conservancy organization or the government probably won't be able to stop it. :(  Like that area needs more traffic.

Kim 8)

richard bernabe

Walt,

Thanks for the info.

I Fed-Ex'd a DVD to your store about 3 weeks after I was there. It was signed for but its been so long, I cant remember by who or have any paperwork now. I can send you another one if you like.

Let us kow what going on up there on WC!

RB

walt

Quote from: richard bernabe on August 15, 2007, 15:49:32 PM

Walt,

Thanks for the info.

I Fed-Ex'd a DVD to your store about 3 weeks after I was there. It was signed for but its been so long, I cant remember by who or have any paperwork now. I can send you another one if you like.

Let us kow what going on up there on WC!

RB

hey Richard..... dang, i dunno who signed for it but i'm pds 'twasnt me.... i would have opened and viewed it immediately.

damn, this whole time you were prolly wunderin' why i never thanked ya and i was wunderin' if ya were mad 'bout sumthin.

anyways, i'd be delighted, if you would be so kind, to receive another copy. do you need any ship $ or flies or sumthin?

i was going to fish high/wild wc last sunday.... i went up to the shak in foscoe saturday to do all the weedwhackin chores and stayed overnight. but after seeing the watauga and linville rivers with just a pittance of water in them, i decided not to even bother the fish on wc.... they have to be stressed..... sure hope this drought ends soon.

holler next time yer up this way....

thankee....

walt
831 w union st
morganton, nc 28655

"All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain."
— Cormac McCarthy

#CommissionsEarned