News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Bridges, Infrastructure and taxes....

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 08, 2007, 15:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Before a new gas tax hike, how about some accountability for the billions already collected!!

QuoteThe bridge collapse sparked concern about highway spans across the country, and U.S. Rep. James Oberstar, D-Minnesota, pledged Wednesday to introduce legislation aimed at repairing structurally deficient bridges nationwide.

Oberstar, who is chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, pointed out to reporters that nearly 74,000 bridges are classified as "structurally deficient" by the U.S. Department of Transportation.

"If we don't want another I-35 collapse, we have to address that portfolio," Oberstar said.

Minnesota state bridge inspectors had classified the bridge as "structurally deficient" for at least 17 years.

Oberstar's draft legislation, which he said he will introduce when the House reconvenes September 5, would improve bridge inspection requirements, provide dedicated funding for improvements, distribute funds based on public safety and need, prohibit earmarks by Congress and the administration and establish a trust fund for bridge repairs and replacements.

The effort, Oberstar said, would be funded by a 5-cent increase in the gas tax, which he estimated would raise $8.5 billion yearly. The program would end after three years.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!