• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!. Please login or sign up.
December 04, 2021, 16:01:36 PM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

NC stream and snakes

Started by troutphisher, August 05, 2007, 22:43:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

August 05, 2007, 22:43:09 PM Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 23:11:46 PM by troutphisher

I fished a stream in the mountains of western NC today.
I got a late start, I was tyeing flies this am, and didn't get to the stream until 2:00 pm.

The weather was hot, but the forecast called for rain, and it poured about 4:00pm. It was good to get the water, the streams really need it.

The water was clear when I started, but soon turn dirty, with visibility about 1-1/2 ft.

I fished drys and emergers today. I caught some small rainbows near the bank and they put up a good fight. I headed down stream to a another good spot I like to fish. On the way down I saw splashing in the water and noticed a snake struggling with a 10" brook trout. The snake had the brook near it's tail and the brook was fighting, trying to get free.

I tried to get in between the snake and the current and cut the snake off, but it saw me and swam away still struggling to hold on to the brook.

I watched the struggle for about ten minutes, hoping the brook would break free. The snake finally got the brook to the bank, and eased it's way in to the hole. I watched the snake drag the brook up the bank and into it's hole, the brook fighting the whole way.

I continued down stream to the spot, and noticed some fish rising near the bank. I tied on a #16 loop wing bwo and cast just above the rise. I watched the fly drift to the spot and the fish sipped it. It was a good fight, the fish pulled hard and made two good runs, one upstream and one down stream. There was a tree that had fallen in the  stream and this fish headed for the  limbs, I pulled it out of the main current and fought it back the manageable water.
I finally brought the fish to hand and it was a nice brown, deep colors and nice red spots. It went about 18" and put up a good fight.
I held the fish in the water for a moment and it soon splash me as it raced back up stream.

A good day to fish, and it was wild seeing the struggle of nature wit the snake and brook trout.

Here are some pics of the day

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Gofisher

Excellent report (as usual!)! Time for some applause... 0--0

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

Nice Brownie! good report....

Wish I had gone trout fishing instead of smallie fishing.....  o-o

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diamonddave7676

Thtas neat with the snake.  Any idea as to what kind of snake it was?

troutphisher

August 06, 2007, 18:17:13 PM #4 Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 19:19:01 PM by troutphisher

Dave,

From the little research I have done, it looks to be a brown water snake.
However the pic's from the web site, show a darker colored snake.

This snake was more of a rust color, closer to a copper head, but it did not have the blotched color pattern of a copper head. It also had a taper to it's head, without the big cheeks or spade shape head of a poisonous viper.

Next time I see one, I will try to trap it with a forked stick and get a better close up picture.

Here is the link to the web site
http://www.coolsprings.org/brownwater.jpg

This is a link to a northern water snake, it's habitat region is in the vacinity of where I was fishing.

http://www.amphibiansandreptiles.com/herps/snakes/Ner_sip.html

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

lepomis_mcro

why didnt you just wait till it crawled up a tree, and blasted it and the brookie with your pistol?

cool report by the way.

(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

kylemc

Great report as usuall TP 0--0

Trout Maharishi

August 07, 2007, 00:46:47 AM #7 Last Edit: August 07, 2007, 00:49:22 AM by Trout Maharishi

Yea I think that's a Northern Banded water snake. Careful though, that whole area is covered with timber rattle snakes and copperheads. I was bit in the face once by a timber rattle snake while climbing up the bank not far form there. My face and head became so swollen that they had to put in drain tubes and take my brain out. So far so good though, I haven't missed it.

There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot.

Lefty Kreh

#CommissionsEarned