News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A beautiful day

Started by brownhunter, July 31, 2007, 15:39:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownhunter

I fished a nice freestone stream yesterday that was just perfect. The water was up, but not too off color. The day started out perfect, a rainstorm the night before, overcast, and a perfect day for the browns to come out and play. The water temp was 65 when I started at 8:00.

The browns were looking up as I was fishing a yellow stimulator, an ausable wolff, a grizzly wolff, and then a yellow jacket. I tried some nymphs, but I didn't even get a bump, but when I put the dry back on they just attack it. It is quite odd, but it sure was fun. On one real nice run, I missed the fish of the day. It was a brown that would have went at least 15", but that is quite generous on the short side. I know it was closer to 20", but I'll say 15". He had shoulders and bright red spots on him. I threw my dry up in a plunge pool and it went under, about 3". The fly ended up riding the outside edge of the feeding lane in a little bathtub size pool that was pretty deep. Well, this large shape came up off the bottom and never hit the fly, but gave it a good look and then turned his side to me and I never saw him again. I don't know if he saw me, the leader, the hook, or just wasn't interested in what fly it was, but it sure put a charge in me.

I caught all of my rainbows on a yellow jacket. You can see the fly in their mouths in the pictures. The large bow was unbelievable, and the picture doesn't do it justice. It was chrome, except for a real thin pink line down its side, pink gills, pink fins, and no spots. It was the best looking bow that I have ever caught.

I hope you enjoy the pics of the day.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: brownhunter on July 31, 2007, 15:39:10 PM
The large bow was unbelievable, and the picture doesn't do it justice. It was chrome, except for a real thin pink line down its side, pink gills, pink fins, and no spots. It was the best looking bow that I have ever caught.

Hey! Where's the big bow!!!!?????

post picture please....

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

calebB

Must be the second photo. ::)

brownhunter

Wooly asked:

post picture please....

Sorry Wooly, but it should have said 'the larger of the pictured bows.'
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: brownhunter on July 31, 2007, 19:50:12 PM
Wooly asked:

post picture please....

Sorry Wooly, but it should have said 'the larger of the pictured bows.'

That's alright! A pretty little bow ain't bad either.... ;D
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Oldman

Nice Report Mr Brownhunter. I caught my largest brown last Sat in Va. 26" big boy. No camera and no fishing partner. But... who cares. I enjoyed it.

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.