News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

SOHO marathon

Started by troutphisher, July 29, 2007, 10:06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the south holston waters yesterday. It was by far the longest day on the water in terms of time. I left home at 4:00am and drove 2-1/2 hours to be on the water by 7:00am.  I hit the water at 7:00am exactly after a quick breakfast stop.

The fog on the water, rolled in and out all day long. It drizzled most of the day and stayed overcast.

I fished the lower section, and started the day off with a soft hackle sulphur size 16 (thanks OD3,Kim for the tips on the flies to use). I had my first fish on at 7:20am. I caught lots of browns in the 8 to 10" range, and they were fun!

I saw a few Sulphur's coming off around 8:00am, but it was sporadic.
The fish were sipping emergers.

I wanted to fish all types of water today, slow runs, riffles and slick water.
And give the rod a work out.

I tried small sulphur dry's size 18, and only got looks from some of the fish.
Around 10:00am a good bwo hatch was on size 18.

I fished a size 16 PTN in the riffles and caught some more browns on the swing across the currents.

I moved up to another good riffle section and switched flies to a #18 BH zebra midge. This proved to be a good fly for the day. I caught more browns in one section of water.

At about 2:00 pm I moved up stream to some slick water, it was like glass.
I could see every rise and motion on the surface. I fished a loop wing bwo emerger and the fish were eager to take them. I caught all rainbows in this section. There colors were awesome, deep rose sides, white tipped fins.

I didn't get the big fish today, but had lots of fish and lots of fun!

I finally left the water at 9:00pm, it was to dark to see the fly on the water, so fishing was done. 14 hours on the water.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

good job for your first trip to the SoHo!! 

But if all you want to do is catch small fish you could just go to the Smith!  ;D ;D ;D

btw I admire that looooonnggg day of fishing!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

flatlander

Good report.  Did you fish any terrestrials?

troutphisher

Wool

It was actually the second time on the Soho, fished there last year with Bru and hicks.  ;D

But I would fish there again, with the water so low around here, I have to fish the tail waters.

Flatlander,
I didn't fish any terrestrials.
The flies I used were,

#18 bh zebra midge (black & silver wire body)
#20 PTN
#16 PTN
#16 soft hackle Sulphur
#16 soft hackle bwo
#18 emerger bwo loop wing
#18 dry Sulphur

Caught lots of fish, but the two predominant flies were the zebra and emerger.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flatlander

All good stuff...take a few beetles and ants on the next trip

troutphisher

Thanks Flatlander!

I'll keep that in mind.

Discomidge

Nice report Tp...I shoulda went witcha...my day sucked.

Kim 8)

Trout Maharishi

He don't want no body going with him. He sneaks off in the middle of the night, or post in the lets go fishing about 1 am so he can say well I ask. Then he can say I told you I was gonna be there ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on July 30, 2007, 07:49:19 AM
He don't want no body going with him. He sneaks off in the middle of the night, or post in the lets go fishing about 1 am so he can say well I ask. Then he can say I told you I was gonna be there ;D

You never know where I might show up  ;D