News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Enough with the generation on Holston!

Started by Stuart R., September 23, 2005, 23:33:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuart R.

I am sick and tired of the TVA running water on Holston. I think that ever who makes those schedules is working for the devil, to keep me from fishing. Or maybe it is PETA they are working for! I know gotta pull the lake level but I wanna fish! Sounds selfish right? Well it's like taking crack froma a junkie. I miss it bad and all the other rivers are running so low and clear the fish can see ya when you shut your car doors. Sorry just needed to vent. And anyone wanting to donate to the buy Flymaster a drift boat you can make your tax deductable contributions at 1-8900-HATE-TVA!

FM
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

Mstash

Amen
The same here. Lake James is 4' down and they are still generating 2 units.
When you get that Boat call me. I'll row. >:(

Rod Champion

Rick, TVA is got to get to their projected lake level for the Fall and Winter. Where were you all summer? They did not run mcuh.
If it stays dry , maybe they will quit pulling the lake down soemtime soon.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Rod Champion

I wish I understood TVA's Reservoir Preferred Lake Levels. It looks as tho by October 1 they are very close to thier Bas Case Medium . And by November 1 , it is wanted to be at 1708' . It is now about 1716'.
If all stayed as this weekend, TVA, running full bore, TVA is drawing 1' down every 2 days. That is if inflows stay the same and generation were to stay at 2400cfs an hour.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
423-878-2822

Hugh Hartsell

Fellas, there is another problem with that type of drawdown rate. If you come a little farther down the river to the Holston below Cherokee Dam, the temperature gets more critical. They are doing the same type of drawdown on Cherokee and we really get funny feelings when the flow is wide open for weeks at a time. It takes all of the colder water out of the bottom of the reservior and the water can become too warm for the trout to live if it is done while the air temps are still real hot. That is the conditions that we have now. Let's hope that it slows down soon.
   We're thinking that the fish that were stocked this past Nov. are gettting up to about 17-20in. long now. :D
    Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
SMOKYMOUNTAINGUIDESERVICE

Stuart R.

I checked on this post and expected to see a post from someone who is boating the holston along with vivid pics of colorful browns and full colored red sides. But you guys spared me "thanks" I really mean that I can't take no more. I have been even letting my Holston pics run on a slide show while tying flies and counting to 10 slowly telling mey self "calm down it's just a river" but its not workin'. I think it is getting to me because everthing else is so low and the fishing to so poor everywhere else. You can almost always rely on the Tailwaters. But not this time of year. Like when the MTN streams are too hot to fish, afraid of having a fish diel from the fight. Still the same on Holsotn, leg freezing water. By the way did anyone fish this spring during the sluising they done on Holston. Speaking of freezing that was so blasted cold. That was my fav. ever! I say lets do it agian. Heck with the power I am on App. Elec. power anyway. So you guys can go without lights for a few good days of fishing right? Ya right women and no hairdryers. Heck us guys and not fly tying light or no Monday night football. NOT GONNA HAPPEN! Well could for me on the Football. DOn't watch it. Well enough ranting but gotta get some release somewhere "wife laughs and wathces me twitch like a mental patient".

FM ;D

Mstash

Rod
I have been working on an old house. Went to the old Country for 2 weeks. Leaving for MI. Fri. I haven't been on the river in a while. After MI. I'll be ready to get back at. And the Gas thing aint helping

Mstash     

Rod Champion

I came up and fished the sluicing for several days.- was awesome wasn't it? Man, I wish they would run that way 24 hrs. - 7 days a week.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
423-878-2822

Stuart R.

Heck ya that sluising was great. More flow made those really picky still holes easier to dry fly in but not too deep to wade still. I like to froze to death though. I took a week off work then to fish and I believe I was down there 4 days that week. Wife was getting ILL. Like I said Rod C. who needs TVA's power I say sluis 24/7 starting now. App. Elec. is my power provider. SO I can say that.

FM

P.S. Rod C. hwo many boards do you frequent?

Rod Champion

www.riversmallies.com
flyfishsouth
this one
I can't get on Harvey's old board- he banned me for being alive..
That is about all the time I have... got to fish every now and then...
The BWO's should be alwesome this fall and winter-- sure have the nymphs in the water.... and blackflies in Jan. and feb.
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
423-878-2822

Stuart R.

Can't wait on the BWOs but you can keep those friggin black flies. I don't like stuff that small. I will fish them but don't enjoy it as much as the BWO hatch. I just wish the sulphers could hatch all year. That woud be nice. I did see sulphers more last year in the winter because of the warm weather than I have ever in the past. I caught fish occasionally on them all year.

FM

Hugh Hartsell

Flymaster, have you seen the generation schedule for tomorrow for the South Holston? I hope to be there waving 6X thru the air.
     Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Stuart R.

Hey Hugh did you do any good? I had to work that figures! I hope they will be good to me on THursday though. I wanna go bad! I need to sleep today just got in from work. Tell em how you did.

FM

Hugh Hartsell

:D FlyMaster, we did extremely well. I have been trying to post a report with mutiple pictures but I haven't had much luck. I finally got one to attach just a minute ago. Look at my website for the full story. I'll get the photos on here shortly.
     Hugh
http://www.smokymountainflyguide.com/report11.htm
Hugh Hartsell---East Tn.

Stuart R.

Hey Hugh I went to holston today. Had a good day, caught upwards of 30 small fish with a few decent ones mixed in. I broke off a really nice Bow. Oh well  can't win them all. Overall good day sulphers hatched way early in the day in the upper part of the river. Way early than usual. Really supprised me to see them at all with the rain and all. I luckly brought the rain jacket with me to the river didn't leave it in the blazer this time. I didn't meet you today did I. I met a guy named Hugh don't remember the last name though. He was from Abingdon.. Nice report page BTW.

FM