News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wild stream

Started by troutphisher, July 14, 2007, 23:00:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a small wild stream in the Haywood county. This stream is a free stone at about 3700ft elevation. The air temp was perfect today about 74F when I started and never got much warmer. The ski stayed overcast, with just spotty sun breaking through during the afternoon. The water temp was a cool 63F and crystal clear. The water is still low in most areas, and this stream was no different.

I started fishing at 7:45am after a 2 mile hike into a gorge. When I got to the stream I looked around to see if any insects were present. I saw some small midges and bwo's both size 20.

The hatch was sporadic at best, and I hoped it would pick as the day progressed. I started the day fishing a size 20 PTN, swinging it cross current and down stream near some boulders and pocket water. I caught some really pretty little rainbows. Their colors were awesome, deep rose sides and cheek plates, with almost translucent parr marks. Most were in the 6 to 8 inch range, but always fun to catch. They never seam to bore be, nor do I get tired of catching them. They hit the fly and always put up a good fight for their size, with great aerial maneuvers!

Later, around noon the hatch really picked up, bwo's and caddis. The bwo were a little larger than the morning hatch size 18 and the caddis were also size 18 and were bright yellow.

I moved to a little run with a slow pool, that had several seams form by the boulders near the banks. I watch some fish rising, but they were no taking the adult bwo's. I seined the seam they were feeding in and found they were taking emergers.

I tied on a size 18 loop wing bwo emerger, and cast to the head of the seams they were feeding in. I had lots of fun watching them rise. I caught some rainbows, and a coupe browns.
They would not move far from the lanes.

I took a break and looked at some of the wildflower's near the bank. One in particular caught my attention. It looked like an orchid. The colors and shape I had not seen before.

I moved upstream to a feeder creek, and fish the confluence. I stayed with the emerger pattern and caught a few brook trout. One went about 6" and had a fat belly.

It was good to get back to this stream, and see it is still healthy. The fish are some of the prettiest in this area. I also liked to see the bugs today, it looks like the small flies are starting early on this stream.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

teachrtec

Brad  8)

Bloy

Very, Very, cool !! Great pictues and reading. thanx   ;)
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

peter p

The flower almost looks like a Columbine
Peter

troutphisher

Disco has confirmed the flower.
Is a Monkey flower

http://www.cytechweb.net/~deekay/listspage.html

Nice find Kim!  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

ditchmonkey

Quote from: troutphisher on July 15, 2007, 22:46:58 PM
Is a Monkey flower

Nice find Kim!  0--0
i have my own flower!? i do kick azz!
Yeah man, I tell ya what, man, that dang ol' internet, man, you just go in on there and point and click, talk about w-w-dot-w-com, mean you got nekkid chicks on there, man, just go click, click, click, click, click, it's real easy, man.

troutphisher

Quote from: ditchmonkey on July 17, 2007, 14:58:12 PM
Quote from: troutphisher on July 15, 2007, 22:46:58 PM
Is a Monkey flower

Nice find Kim!  0--0
i have my own flower!? i do kick azz!

Ditch.....you been drink'in again? :o ;D

AlaskaBill

I love those wild brooks. Thank You