News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smallmouth Bass Sipping Midges !

Started by Rod Champion, September 23, 2005, 15:21:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rod Champion

I Have watched smallies set up on white flies, and sulphurs many times, but to have the set up in feed lanes , sipping MIDGES just like trout is a new one for me. This is Honest Indian stuff. There wer Midges all over the water yesterday and tons of bass set up and ate them. They were ' dimpling the water, you could only see the slight sip. I know they were bass, cause I was in the boat- standing in the boat actually , literally seeing Bass do it. I was running the boat. Mark Folk was fishing. He caught several on a white sneaky pete size 8 . I had no smaller poppers or petes. I did not have any of my trout boxes with me . Only had some old throw awy trout flies that were stuck in one of the bass boxes. So a size 16 CDC Sulphur dun was put on. He immediately caught 3 or 4 on it. Then we begin watching 3. 4 or 5 bass come up under the sulphur and settle back down, JUST like trout and REFUSE the Dun. On every cast , the same thing - a bunch of Bass refusals. If I am lying , I am dying. There were bass of all sizes sipping like this . I mean 16" just as well as 10"ers. Darnest thing I have seen. The old addage of once a bass commits , he is gone, was out the door yesterday evening. Pretty neat stuff. If I go Saturday [ and use a lot of GAS- crap} then my midge box will be with me.
MIDGING for Smallmouth Bass- well I never....
Rod Champion
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822

Arky_Dan

work is for people who don't know how to fly fish !!!!!!

DJ65

Rod, they were taking a red wire-bodied midge pattern.   ;D

Rod Champion

Dennis- lay out of school Monday and we will try that danged red thing out. I got a bunch of it. Need to break some off so I can get rid of the rest :D
For all you who don't know DJ- He is still in High School . He just looks older...
Or let's go tomorrow. Split gas and I will row the boat.   
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822