News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

NC stream

Started by troutphisher, June 27, 2007, 20:01:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the mountains of western NC today. I took the day off and hit one of my favorite streams.

The air temp was 80 when I started, but cooled down as the afternoon progressed. I started fish a caddis size 18 yellow. I saw some coming off when I got to my spot. I saw some fishing rising in the pockets around the boulders, so I cast the fly in a seam that brought the fly near the boulder and I little brown came up for it. It was about 8" and the colors where very deep.

I moved down stream to another promising spot, I could see some fish rising.
The water was crystal clear, so long cast were required. I caught some small rainbows and they fought hard. It was great to see them take the fly.

As I was moving down stream, I saw what I thought was a stick, it was tan/orange in color and had strange markings. When I got closer, I knew why it looked strange. It was a copper head. I have never seen them in this posture before. It's tail was anchored to the bottom and it had it's head just below the surface. I tired to get close enough for a picture, but it quickly swam away when I approached it.

As I watched it swim down stream, I noticed a rise near a root that was protruding from the bank and creating a small seam. I watched the rise for a couple of minutes, and almost decided to pass it up. The rings where tiny from where I was, about 30ft away.

I could see some cahills starting to come off, so I tied on a size 14 biot bodied cahill. I had to find a good position to cast from, because the tree had branches over hanging the water. So I moved up stream a little and toward the opposite bank. This gave me a clear forward cast just above the root.
I cast the fly and watched it move in the seam near the root, and just past the root the fish sipped the fly, I set the hook and knew this was no small fish.
It immediately ran for the center of the stream and had my drag screaming.
This fish pulled hard and jumped twice. When I saw the rose stripe on it's side I knew it was a rainbow. I managed to get it into the shallow water and brought it to hand. It was one of the prettiest bows I have caught in a while.
About 18" of solid muscle.

It was a good way to end the day. I wanted to stay a little later but I had some work to get done today.

Here are some pics of the day
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

peter p

nice fish!  How much vacation do you get?  I want your job!!
Peter

kylemc

calebB

troutphisher

Quote from: peter p on June 28, 2007, 09:16:07 AM
nice fish!  How much vacation do you get? 

Not Enough!!! he he he

TP
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

peter p

Not until we hit the grand old age of retirement.  The clock is ticking!   
Peter