News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

EnviroQuest

Started by jkilday4, July 08, 2007, 21:31:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkilday4

Didn't catch any of the interview or LiveEarth stuff, but was reading the local paper & I couldn't help but be impressed by Al Gore's conviction to continue to pursue his personal goal of educating the public about global warming.  He says he's over politics & laughed at the idea of running for president again - that in of itself (assuming it's the truth...you never know about politicians  ;)) tends to lend credence to his 'worthy cause'.

I have personally grappled with environmental issues more and more over the past few years.  I'm 39, have a wife and child, typical sales job, and typical small-town neighborhood lifestyle with typical wants & needs - pay the house note and grocery/electric bills, vacate a couple times a year hopefully, plan for college & retirement.  And in the midst of all this, more and more confirming reminders of environmental slippage stare me down as I study and try to learn more about this passion of fly-fishing - trends of less bugs, less fish, less water, etc. over just the last few decades.

I'll spare you all the typical materialistic society vs 'at one with nature' rant - I know that many many people other than myself are consciously 'conflicted'.  On one hand, many think that moderate 'materialism' would be ok (how in human nature is that achieved?)  But at that the other thought camp screams 'hypocrite'.

Just wondering if you all have any thoughts on the matter...