News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

DT or WF for small weight lines?

Started by Fire-Fly, June 27, 2007, 11:51:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

Anyone have an opinion on 2 weight or smaller line, which (DT, or WF) would have a better presentation. I realize on that small of line and rod, cast will not be very long, for me the subtelness of the line presentation would be more important. I have fished down to a 3 wt and always used wf lines, but i am looking to get a 6 to 7 ft 2 wt rod and am curious as to what everyone thinks about the line choice.

troutphisher

Fire-fly.

In a 2wt line I would choose a DT. I am guessing the rod and line will be for small water. Smaller water usually has pockets and lots of currents at different speeds, so the DT line will come in handy for mending.

DT line also roll casts very good, and this will also come in handy on small to medium size water.

This is just my opinion.
TP
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

DT fro the two weight, twice the line... turn-it around after a couple a three years  ;D
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutjedi

I've got a triangle taper on my 2wt and it sucks......go DT

Peddler

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 27, 2007, 19:38:15 PM
DT fro the two weight, twice the line... turn-it around after a couple a three years  ;D

That right there should be reason enough to go with a DT! Two lines for the price of one!
If you're fishing small streams and using a two-weight, you would probabably never see the thin running line on a WF except through the holes on your reel so the mending and roll-casting points won't apply.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Fire-Fly

Thanks to everyone for the advice, sorry i have not responded but monday morning my grandfather had to be air lifted to Duke. He had a major hemmorage in his brain. He is in a coma and is not showing any signs of hope. The doctors said if he did live he would be confined to a nursing home. This man was my hero, and the man who started me fishing and hunting and led my life to a life for the lord. He lived by the good rule, he was a person who never wanted, he enjoyed whatever he had. Two weeks ago me and him and my 6 year old daughter all went crappie fishing together, it was his first time he had ever taken her fishing. I dont think he even needed a rod he could have just watched her. I know that when this man passes he will go be with the lord, but your prayers are welcome for a great fisherman, and my hero and best friend. "Papa"

troutphisher

Sorry to hear about your gramps.

My grandfather was my best friend too. I think about him almost every day.
He gave me my first bamboo fly rod, he got it for a retirement gift, but never fly fished, he was a worm dunker, but a dam good one. Pan fish was his game, pearch and blue gills.

I used to spend my summers at his cabin, up in northern Wisconsin, chasing trout on the tribs of lake Superior.

Best wishes for you gramps.
TP
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.