News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wild SC stream

Started by troutphisher, June 22, 2007, 20:35:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in western South Carolina today. This is a wild free stone stream, at about 2600ft elevation.

The air temp was 68 when I started at 8:00am this morning, the water temp was a cool 65. This surprised me given the elevation, but the stream does have a good canopy cover. The water was slightly stained.

I started the day looking under some rocks and figuring out what to fish.
I saw lots of caddis and mayfly nymphs. The nymphs were sizes 20 to 14 and were plentiful. The caddis were mostly rock rollers and were small size 18.

I started fishing a #14 ptn in the pockets and seams. I soon hooked up with some small bows, most were in the 4" -6" range, I did spook one that looked to be near 12". He was in the shade of the canopy, and when I noticed it, it  was to late, I watched it race up stream like a rocket.

I fished the rest of the morning and early afternoon with PTN's and caddis and caught lots of little fish. By 1:30 the temp was 90 and I had a mile hike out threw a utility easement. That was one of the hottest hikes I have had.
It was down right miserable, and of course I had nothing to drink. So when I got back to the car I was ready to pass out.

I don't think I'll fish this stream again until January.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.