Hatchery supported stream

Started by troutphisher, June 09, 2007, 22:00:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a hatchery supported stream today, its in the mountains or western NC. This stream is small by comparison, witch helps keep the tube hatch down.
To small to float...he he he he.

The day started off in great fashion. I arrived only to find I left my reel at home. So I had to drive back to the fly shop and buy a new one.
I chose the Ross fly water, and had them string it with Rio selective trout DT5.
Nice way to dump $175 on a brain cramp. This is the second time I have done this, and of course they didn't have any cheap reels.

I started fishing at 8:00am this morning. The air temp was 74, the water was right at 65. The sun was bright and the water was low.
I fished a PTN in the seams and pockets, catching lots of stocker brook trout.
They were in the stream in all areas, even during the high noon hour.
I was out to try and catch a bigger fish to see how the Orvis midge rod would Handel larger fish. Most of the fish caught were in the 12 to 16" range, and the rod held its own. I didn't have to prolong the fight, and brought the fish to hand quickly, even with 6x tippet.

I took a break and check under some rocks, to see how the insect life was.
This stream has lots of good bugs. I saw several different size mayfly nymphs, most ready to hatch with dark wing pads that were very pronounced.
This was a good sign, and I was hoping to catch a hatch later in the day.
I also saw lots of caddis on the rocks, and they were doing fine.

On one of the rocks I turned over, I saw lots of stone fly nymphs. It was good to see them too, this stream has a good yellow sally hatch, and from the looks of the nymphs, it will continue.

At about 5:30pm a good bwo hatch was on size 18. I fished drys the rest of the day and managed on brook that was close to 16". It was fun to watch the fish sip the fly, then make a run for it. I never took the fish out of the water, but cradled it and watch it swim away no worse for wear.

I caught lots of fish today, and even took time to smell the proverbial wild flower. I took a pic of this flower, I have never seen. It looked like crab grass, but hand a beautiful red flower. It looked like a humming bird plant.

I finally stopped fishing at 8:30 pm, long but a fun day.
It's always good to be on the water and today was no exception.

here are some pics of todays fishing and bug hunting.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

I may just go fishing tomorrow myself, no fair that tp gets to go so often..

thanks for the great inspiring reports, but I'm planning to hit Montana soon  ;D
and i hope to post a report every day....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Fishing Montana will be great, that makes up for missed days here.

The only thing that would keep me from fishing is work and death.
And I am planing to remove one of the obstacles soon, so It will only be death that keeps me from fishing  0--0
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

lepomis_mcro

i think thats cool that you fish hatch supported stream. i have had the pleasure of fishing with you. so i know your a skilled fisher. you know the bug on the water, as well as the ones that crawl.

i have seen guys with less skill talk down about anything to do with hatch support, or DH. like they are too good or too skilled to wet a line in them. i have never understood that line of thinking.. in the end what did you do but fool some fish, see some beautiful land, and have fun. to me thats whats important.

good stuff as always TP
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

trout_boy_II

I agree with l_m 's points.  Not a dang thing wrong with stocked streams.  The point is to have a good time, not prove something to somebody else.  I hope to be on the water Saturday and Sunday and I'm hoping that the thunder storms continue all week.  We actually got a decent rain in Greenville yesterday.  Not near enough, but a start at least.  I hear the mountains did not do as well, but the rain has been so spotty, perhaps it was better where I plan to go.  Hitting semi blue line on sat. and ? on Sunday.  We'll see...

Anyway, thanks for the report.  Aside from my jealousy, I was inspired! ;D

Trout Maharishi

Yea I fish em, and I keep and eat every damn thing I catch. BTW them is Fire Pink flowers.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Quote from: absales on June 13, 2007, 16:15:18 PM

I think it is downright shameful that Phish would sink so low. What's next Mr. Kawl, power bait?

just axing...................

Na, but I might go fer a coffee tin full of night crawlers and one of dem spinny reel things.

troutphisher

Trout Maharishi

You is right :-[, http://www.auburn.edu/~deancar/wfnotes/carfl.htm

Cardinal has the same kind of looking flower just multi blooms on the stem. Can you smoke it?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on June 14, 2007, 06:53:09 AM
You is right :-[, http://www.auburn.edu/~deancar/wfnotes/carfl.htm

Cardinal has the same kind of looking flower just multi blooms on the stem. Can you smoke it?

I think the Indians used to smoke it, maybe that's why they traded Manhattan for beads.