News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

VA Governor Tim Kaine Visits The Smith River

Started by Al, June 08, 2007, 10:27:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Thursday, June 7th was a wonderful day for the Smith River, the Trout In the Classroom program and Henry / Patrick County region, as Virginia Governor Tim Kaine took part in meetings and  briefings on economic development initiatives taking place in the area.

The Governor also spent a lot of time knee deep in the Smith River where the Albert Harris Elementary Schools and Fieldale-Collinsville Middle School released several hundred brown trout fingerlings into the river as the final step in their Trout In the Classroom project for 2007.

The Trout In the Classroom program is sponsored locally by Dr. David Jones. His generous contribution of time and money have enabled the program to continue and expand for a second year in regional schools.

As might be expected, the governor was the featured attraction at the release on Thursday, but he was quick to point out the real heroes of the program are the students and their teachers.

Over the past several weeks local school children have released several thousand fingerling brown trout into the river. These trout were spawned from eggs early in the school year and then raised by the class until they reached 2-3 inches. They are now on their own in the wide open waters of the Smith River.

If you have ever wondered how a politician always seems to have the appropriate attire for the occasion, wonder no more. Here is one of the governor's aides who had the honor of holding the governor's coat, tie and shoes. He asked that I not show his face  - "because my mother thinks I have a very important job in government".

It was a great day for the Smith River and the region. Shown below (left to right)  are Governor Tim Kaine, Dr David Jones and John Ross (Chairman Virginia Council - Trout Unlimited)