News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

New old boo rods.

Started by troutphisher, June 05, 2007, 17:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I Finlay received the other Orvis rod. It's a 7-1/2 ft 3-5/8oz HEG 5wt rod.
This rod is in exceptional condition.

I was practice casting with this rod today in my backyard, and set it up with Rio WF5 line. The rod responded perfectly with this line. Although most literature speaks of using a line up or down on the older Orvis rods, this wasn't the case with the midge. I like to feel the rod load completely, meaning down in the but section as well as mid and tip. The rod is rated as a med/slow rod, but by todays standard, it is a slow rod. When punching out a longer cast it easily picked up the excess line at my feet, I just let the line slide through my fingers. This rod has definitely become my favorite. I like slower rods and this rods fits like a glove.

The Battenkill is a med/fast rod, but I think its closer to med at best. Both are excellent casting rods, and really fun to cast. This rod is 7-1/2 ft 3-7/8oz HDG 6wt.
But I like this rod with a 5wt line also. I have only tried WF and DT lines with this rod and both were easy to cast.

I plan on using the midge rod in smaller streams where the chances of catching big fish are limited, by big I mean over 14" fish. The reason being, because of the slow action the rod is very flexible, this would prolong the fight on big fish and put to much stress on them, and I don't want to risk fish for fun.

The Battenkill rod will fill in the need for a big fish stick, it is a stiffer rod and can Handel pulling big fish in while protecting the light tippet, but can also be used to fish small water. Between the two, in my opinion the Battenkill is more versatile because it will Handel both small and big fish, as well as small and larger flies. I don't plan on throwing streamers with either rod, but could throw a small woolly bugger with the Battenkill, but rather stick to the drys and nymphs in the 12 to 20 size. The slower rods tend to throw wider loops, but this doesn't stop me from casting under limbs or to small locations. I just use a side arm cast and let the loop roll out under the obstacles.

I put off getting an Orvis rod, and I regret the decision. These are one of the finest casting rods made in my opinion. I wished I had them years ago.

Thanks Again Al, for letting me cast your rods, and helping me with the decision.

TP
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.