Anyone want to fish and float the Jackson Sat. June 23?

Started by Fire-Fly, May 29, 2007, 18:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

I am trying to find somebody to float the jackson river on june 23, anyone interested please let me know, anyone who wants to go is welcome.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: absales on May 30, 2007, 18:52:14 PM
What part of the Jackson are planning to float?

just axing...............

gonna get the shot gun ready al?
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fire-Fly

Quote from: absales on May 30, 2007, 18:52:14 PM
What part of the Jackson are planning to float?

just axing...............
Not sure right off never floated it but i have read that there are a few areas you can float as long as you dont get out of your tube, probably johnson springs to smith bridge or the next public access.

I'm up to float a section of the James also if anyone is interested.

natureboy

Can I take a raincheck?  Maybe we could wrangle al into being our tourguide one weekend. 

Fire-Fly

Quote from: natureboy on June 01, 2007, 13:01:04 PM
Can I take a raincheck?  Maybe we could wrangle al into being our tourguide one weekend. 
Sounds good, maybe we can find another time, i'm still looking for anyone interested in that sat. if i cant find anybody i'll probably just go and wade the public sections.

slowup

Live to far to float the Jackson now, but If you do get to float it, the Johnson Springs to Smith Bridge float is a nice one but can be short depending on the flow. If you are looking for short then stick with this one, but if you want a little longer forat 6 hours or so, float down to Indian Draft.  By the way, think streamers - trust me.

Woolly Bugger

correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that there was very little water that you can float and FISH! King's grant gives the property owners all rights to the fish in the river.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Fire-Fly

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 10, 2007, 09:09:58 AM
correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that there was very little water that you can float and FISH! King's grant gives the property owners all rights to the fish in the river.
I called and talked to the game warden in the are and the richmond office, as long as you dont touch the bottom and you are floating in the river you can fish any of it but you can not get out on the banks or wade along the bottom. They said you have to buy the rights from the state to post your water and not let anyone fish they gave me a list of those streams and the jackson is not on it. He told me that the water is owned by the state and not the land owners.

Woolly Bugger

QuotePlans to turn the tailwater fishery into catch-and-release trophy water ran afoul of local land owners, whose property deeds are based on grants from George and other English kings. While the grants allow navigation of the waterway, they reserve for landowners' dominion over fish in the river and birds in the air. In short, folks who own the land own the river's fish. Residents of the narrow mountain valleys of southwest Virginia are a conservative lot. When the state told them they could no longer catch and keep fish from this stretch, the landowners went to court and had their property rights reaffirmed. Anyone caught fishing in a King's Grant section without permission is liable for prosecution. Some landowners post their property, others do not. Written permission is essential. There is some fishing in the mile immediately below the dam, but most fly shops in the region recommend that anglers try their luck farther upstream. Local TU chapters and the state department of game and fish are working hard to resolve this issue. Anglers who receive permission to fish can find themselves hooked onto nice browns in this year-round, easily waded fishery.
me -There's a season?

natureboy

The misinformation surrounding this river is impressive...   :-\ :-X

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

Dam! That might keep me from fishing!

Nice double barrel camera, I think the design of the side by side barrel was to lay the barrels on the bridge of the nose of the subject, for close up shots.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Boykin

Quote from: absales on June 11, 2007, 16:08:06 PM
Quote from: Fire-Fly on June 10, 2007, 15:41:21 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on June 10, 2007, 09:09:58 AM
I called and talked to the game warden in the are and the richmond office, as long as you dont touch the bottom and you are floating in the river you can fish any of it but you can not get out on the banks or wade along the bottom. They said you have to buy the rights from the state to post your water and not let anyone fish they gave me a list of those streams and the jackson is not on it. He told me that the water is owned by the state and not the land owners.
Kings Grant only applies to the about the first 1/8 below the Dam. What happens is that land owners further down stream say they are included in the grant as well. They say this just to intimidate you. Its nonsense. Stay in the water and you are fine. Better yet, go know on a door and give them a 20.00 bill and ask to fish in their meadow. Thats what I did and I have a great stretch I fish regularly with no hassles. Most people around there are very kind!

You were misinformed, you best be carrying when you fish the Crown Grant Sections. Do you do have a map showing the Crown Grant sections?

just saying..................