News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Davidson river

Started by troutphisher, April 24, 2007, 19:04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished Monday with Mark aka (lempomis Mcro) on the Davidson.
We met up at the ranger station at 9:00am and headed up stream to fish the pockets and pools I knew held some fish.

We started the day fishing quill gordons and light cahills size 16 and 14.
I showed Mark a spot that held fish in a good run that tailed out. He had several fish rise for the light cahill, with some real good casting work.

I showed him some spots to cast to, and he executed with great accuracy.
Some very difficult casting to get the fly placed just right. The fish were not moving from the feeding lanes, you had place the fly just right,to get a rise.

We worked several pools, pocket water and runs in the morning and had some nice rises, but missed. Sometimes I have more fun watching good casting to picky fish, we had to work hard to get rises and they were quick.

We cuaght a fly that I couldn't identify, and after some research, I think it's a Maccaffertium (march borwn).

The conditions were bright sun, so we concentrated on shady spots under tree limbs and banks that were shaded. Saw lots of fish sipping that gave us clues to where they were.

Later in that afternoon we moved up to the hatchery. On a Monday and windy conditions, I figured it wouldn't be crowded. It would also give Mark a chance to catch a fish. He caught a nice brown that jumped several times on a size 20 Griffiths gnat.

We fished hard all day and it was fun, the weather was perfect around 75, the breeze kicked up a few times making casting a challenge but we were fishing, life doesn't get much better.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

kylemc

calebB

March brown for sure-- M. vicarium.  I passed by the D last thursday and collected a few nymphs.  Got 3-4 march browns and the first hatched this morning.  The others have splits along the top of their wing cases so it will be probably less than 24 hrs before they hatch as well.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login