News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Western NC stream

Started by troutphisher, March 31, 2007, 19:33:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the mountains of western North Carolina today. This is a freestone stream at about 3200 ft elevation. The air temp was perfect mid 70's most of the day. The water temp was 52 deg's and slightly stained.

I started at about 8:30 am this morning, and noticed a caddis hatch was on. I put on a #16 caddis pupa pattern and fished the tail out of the riffles. I managed some small bow's and browns, but it was fun to fish them. The water level was a little low but not bad. Some of the boulders that are normally just under the surface, were now breaking the waters surface. This made reading the seams easy, and made clear current paths.

Around 9:30 am I heard some noise in the bushes, and couldn't figure out what it was. About ten minutes later, I found the culprits. They stood on the bank and watched me fish, I knew something was watching me, I had that eery feeling I was being watched from the shadows.
It was two small terrier dogs. They just sat there and watched me. One cocked his head when I looked at them, as if to say, what the hell are you doing with the stick in your hand.

I ignored them but they stuck around all day, trailing me on the bank, and navigating some tough terrain. I fished an area that had no paths to the stream, so they rambled through the brush and undercut to follow me.

Around 11:00am a good Quill Gordon hatch was on and I switched flies to a #16 Gordon.
I fished the pockets and runs, finding good current to drift the fly. I managed some Brook trout, with one going 12 . It rolled on the fly, and I couldn't tell right away what it was. It put up a good fight pulling hard, and making two runs. I looked over at my buddies on the bank, and said boy's this is how it's done. They just stared back dumfounded, oh well.

The after noon got a little slow, so I switched flies to a # 14 ptn and fished another set of riffles and tail outs. I managed a nicely colored little rainbow. The colors were vivid, deep tones and a nice rose side band. I showed the dogs, but they were not impressed.

About 3:00 pm a good light Cahill hatch was on, and I watched several fish jump out of the water to try and get them. I put on a # 14 light Cahill biot pattern, and had fun the rest of the afternoon.

I had a nice brown rise for, but missed the take. I reloaded and cast the fly right back to the feeder current, and it took the fly. This was a nice size brown for these waters, and it fought hard.
Even my buddies got excited and perched themselves on a rock to get a better view. I think they were finally getting it. The stick in my hand was not a fetch toy, but a magic stick that brought fish splashing close to them.

It started to get dark, so I headed out walking up stream, and the dogs followed. Even when I got back to the trail they walked right behind me. I knew a tough decision lay ahead. When I got back to the car they were right at my heels. I didn't want them to get near the road, The after noon got a little slow, so I switched flies to a # 14 ptn and fished another set of riffles and tail outs. I managed a nicely colored little rainbow. The colors were vivid, deep tones and a nice rose side band. I showed the dogs, but they were not impressed.

About 3:00 pm a good light Cahill hatch was on, and I watched several fish jump out of the water to try and get them. I put on a # 14 light Cahill biot pattern, and had fun the rest of the afternoon.

I had a nice brown rise for, but missed the take. I reloaded and cast the fly right back to the feeder current, and it took the fly. This was a nice size brown for these waters, and it fought hard.
Even my buddies got excited and perched themselves on a rock to get a better view. I think they were finally getting it. The stick in my hand was not a fetch toy, but a magic stick that brought fish splashing close to them.

It started to get dark, so I headed out walking up stream, and the dogs followed. Even when I got back to the trail they walked right behind me. I knew a tough decision lay ahead. When I got back to the car they were right at my heels. I didn't want them to get near the road,but I couldn't leave them. So I caved and picked them both up and put them in the car.
Maybe some one will see this post and know who they belong too. In the mean time they can stay with me.

Here are a few pics of the day
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

flyover76

Quote from: troutphisher on March 31, 2007, 19:33:38 PM
I managed some Brook trout, with one going 12". It rolled on the fly, and I couldn't tell right away what it was. It put up a good fight pulling hard, and making two runs. I looked over at my buddies on the bank, and said boy's this is how it's done. They just stared back dumfounded, oh well.
The after noon got a little slow, so I switched flies to a # 14 ptn and fished another set of riffles and tail outs. I managed a nicely colored little rainbow. The colors were vivid, deep tones and a nice rose side band. I showed the dogs, but they were not impressed.

Dogs are so hard to please sometimes.  LOL  Nice pics and seems like a nice little stream

calebB

From reading your posts it would seem like all streams are freestone streams in western North Carolina.  >:D  How about giving the county or something-- you still wouldn't have to tell the name of the stream.  Oh, by the way, nice pics and a great day of fishing.  Sure wish I was fishing today.

Caleb

calebB

Then why do you always tell us?

Trout Chaser

A nice report and day of fishing.  Congrats on the slam 0--0  That's a really nice brookie for the water you described. I've got to getback down to NC and fish again sometime.

TC

calebB

Tp, don't take things so serious. ;D  I didn't say why don't you always tell us the stream name, I said why do you always tell us if it's a freestone if thats all you fish. o-o  Just pickin on you.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: calebB on April 01, 2007, 14:37:14 PM
Tp, don't take things so serious. ;D  I didn't say why don't you always tell us the stream name, I said why do you always tell us if it's a freestone if thats all you fish. o-o  Just pickin on you.

it also just sounds good....  ;D
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

calebB

Makes people think he's not cheating. ::)

calebB

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: calebB on April 01, 2007, 20:56:15 PM
Why?

Don't answer TP or I'm going to have to pull the post....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 02, 2007, 12:12:20 PM
Quote from: calebB on April 01, 2007, 20:56:15 PM
Why?

Don't answer TP or I'm going to have to pull the post....

I know where the line is...he he he he

I modified the post for ya, Caleb. Let me know if this is better now.

well, you got out voted 6 to 1.  I changed the post back again.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.