News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Sweetgrass? Anybody own one?

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 01, 2007, 15:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grumpy

Quote from: troutphisher on March 04, 2007, 09:30:06 AM

I guess there are people who don't mind spending that kind of money on a fishing rod. I'm not one of them.

If i made that kind of money, my name would be on the list, i know 10 years down the road that i could sell it & not lose a dime.
It wouldn't make me a better fisherman, it would be a pleasure to fish one though.
There's a lot of work there, the funny thing is, a no-name rod builder can do the same thing in his garage, should he decide to sell it, it wouldn't bring nowhere near that kind of money, yet, the quality & workmanship would still be there :-\

Grumpy

Peddler

Quote from: Grumpy on March 05, 2007, 08:09:22 AM
the quality & workmanship would still be there :-\

Grumpy

I would change 'would' to 'could'!  ;)

I've seen more than enough work by people who fancy themselves craftsman who really aren't.  :P
I agree though... if I had enough disposable income to get a Sweetgrass rod I would jump on it. If history proves anything, you could use a 'boo rod made by a 'name' maker for years and end up selling it for much more than you paid for it.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Peddler on March 05, 2007, 10:00:12 AM
Quote from: Grumpy on March 05, 2007, 08:09:22 AM
the quality & workmanship would still be there :-\

Grumpy

I've seen more than enough work by people who fancy themselves craftsman who really aren't.  :P
I agree though... if I had enough disposable income to get a Sweetgrass rod I would jump on it. If history proves anything, you could use a 'boo rod made by a 'name' maker for years and end up selling it for much more than you paid for it.

I may let ya'll test cast it ..... for a price ;)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Peddler

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 05, 2007, 10:02:47 AM

Did you? Really? If so, good on ya... and I am elligable for adoption!  ;D

phg

This is the artist's dilemma.  By the time the world figures out if you were any good, you're gone. :-\

The Sweetgrass boys have a reputation and a tradition that should enable them to make a decent living building 'boo rods.  I wish them well.... 0--0

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

troutphisher

In light of the recent developments, having to carry inventory, they might price their rods more realistically. I think its a good move, to make them carry some stock. It helps keep the prices down, against artificial inflation.

Even if you buy this rod, hoping to sell it one day, it will still be a used piece of equipment. I wouldn't pay 2K for a new rod, why would I pay that much for a used one...LOL

It cracks me up to hear the theory's of, you can always sell it for more than you paid. Funny thing is most who promote this language are peddlers of used boo. Kinda self promoting. Always an angle with salesman.  >:D
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Peddler

QuoteI wouldn't pay 2K for a new rod, why would I pay that much for a used one

I can't recall anyone asking you to.

They'll sell those rods and the price will go up. Them's just the facts. There is a bamboo rod builder I know who once told me he could charge darn near whatever he wants for his rods and people will pay it. That's a fact. A local collector has had one of his rods on order for about two years now. If he got it delivered tomorrow, he could sell it within a day at a $500.00 premium. That's a fact as witnessed when one appears on Ebay.
Who would have thought a 'used' Shelby Cobra would go for over a million dollars at the Barrett/Jackson auction back when when you could buy a new one for 20?

Me thinks you're just trying to be argumentative again and that's cool... and expected.  ::)

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Shane

There's a lot of great makers out there.

Check out some of these guys

http://www.canerod.com/rodmakers/

S

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: bowsreign on March 20, 2007, 10:38:24 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 17, 2007, 10:02:45 AM
hmmm,

may be waiting longer that expected.... http://podcast.mktw.net/wsj/audio/20070316/pod-wsjwknd/pod-wsjwknd.mp3

Sounds like the Boo Boys may need a business manager. I get a kick out of the part of the audio where they say that Glen didn't like the direction that Winston was headed. "Too profit oriented". Apparently he thought they were running a nonprofit org.  I wouldn't be surprised to see this "business" fold before they deliver their current orders.

them boo boys are probably fishing to much, smoking some wacky weed and the whole business thing is just a pipe dream....

me -There's a season?

Silver Creek

Regards,

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Silver Creek on March 20, 2007, 15:11:11 PM
Wall Street Journal article from 3/17/07

Thanks for posting the link, I guess I'll get my rod in a couple of years :(

me -There's a season?