News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith Mar 11 stonefly?

Started by Fire-Fly, March 12, 2007, 07:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fire-Fly

Fished the smith for about Two hours and did o.k., it was warm around 70. I caught 2 fish and lost one and had two strikes. I caught the fish on a 14 elk hair caddis. I also found about a size 14 stonefly, it had a black body with light dun to clear wings, i was wondering if anyone have ever fished a stonefly pattern anywhere around here.

Woolly Bugger

fished bwo's black caddis, sulphers on the smith don't recall ever seeing a stonefly

but I do know a stream where salmon flies hatch in mass  ;D

don't bother asking  ;)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

I can't say as I have ever noticed any stoneflies on the Smith.  A lot of caddis and several different mayflies, especially BWO.  Also a lot of midges.  Then, of course, there are the ubiquitous sow bugs.  This time of year, though, you gotta go small!

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on March 12, 2007, 12:25:32 PM
Sure they have stoneflies on the Smith. Now exactly what type I'm not sure?

http://www.fishwild.vt.edu/Smith_River/Aquatic%20Insects.htm

http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/distr/insects/sfly/va/toc.htm

We don't need no stinkin government reports,,, we want photos taken recently from the Special Reg section or above...

.... I'll look and take some photos if I find any stone fly nymphs......
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

outdoorguy3

Guys, guys guys,....trust me, there are stone flys on da Smith.  Some black, some real bright yellow too!  Find as many, if not more of the yellows.  Crane fly larva too!

I have found several stone fly nymphs every time I turn over rocks on the Smith....and yes Woolly, they are in the special reg section.  Not sure your going to find too many stone flys up in the dam section though....dat water be real cold all year long.  The dam section is where the trout make hay on dem sow bugs!

Read that study that MH posted and you'll find the stomach samples of fish taken in differnt sections of the river.  You'll also find bug populations and types on different sections of the river as well.

Ralph 
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Fire-Fly

Thanks for the info, i also was wondering had anyone fished any dry patterns on the smith with any luck.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Fire-Fly on March 14, 2007, 07:57:14 AM

Thanks for the info, i also was wondering had anyone fished any dry patterns on the smith with any luck.

Yes, the last time I was up there I caught several on the Surface, I was casting to risers and caught all the fish that I targeted with a BWO.

me -There's a season?

phg

One of my best days on the Smith, I happened upon a hatch of  BWO's.  I just happened to have a size 20 that I had tied the night before.   I took 9 browns out of one long riff with that fly.  Overall, I'd say it's a mixed bag.  There are times when drys are the ticket (ask OTS), but there are other times when you have to dredge the bottom to find anything. 

It's part of what makes the Smith so much fun to fish.  I don't think I have been skunked more than once, but there have been many times where I caught only a couple.  There is such a variation of habitats that you can't fish just one fly or pursue just one style of fishing.  There are a number of deep holes that I generally work with a streamer.  There are a lot of broad shallow riffs where I have had my best success with nymphs.  There are deeper, faster riffs that dryflies work well on.  There are deep slots with plunge pools that weighted nymphs seem to work best in.  Then there are the long slow moving flats.  I haven't figured out the flats yet.  I think a dryfly should work, but it's so hard to get into casting range without spooking the fish..... 

Al

Ditto what Phg said. Lots of fish and lots of ways to catch them. If you can tie those #22s or smaller you are in luck when they are dimpling the surface. Better yet, just place an order to Blue Fly Cafe.

Now if Paul can figure out the flat water we will call him a "Smith River Regular" - seriously, that is where I catch most of my fish. Just fish the nymph about the way you do a dry, long casts, long leaders, carefull wading, watch the indicator!

Fire-Fly

Quote from: phg on March 14, 2007, 10:03:07 AM
One of my best days on the Smith, I happened upon a hatch of  BWO's.  I just happened to have a size 20 that I had tied the night before.   I took 9 browns out of one long riff with that fly.  Overall, I'd say it's a mixed bag.  There are times when drys are the ticket (ask OTS), but there are other times when you have to dredge the bottom to find anything. 

It's part of what makes the Smith so much fun to fish.  I don't think I have been skunked more than once, but there have been many times where I caught only a couple.  There is such a variation of habitats that you can't fish just one fly or pursue just one style of fishing.  There are a number of deep holes that I generally work with a streamer.  There are a lot of broad shallow riffs where I have had my best success with nymphs.  There are deeper, faster riffs that dryflies work well on.  There are deep slots with plunge pools that weighted nymphs seem to work best in.  Then there are the long slow moving flats.  I haven't figured out the flats yet.  I think a dryfly should work, but it's so hard to get into casting range without spooking the fish..... 

Im sorry i didnt say what i meant, i was wondering if you had fished a stonefly dry pattern with any luck, i do well myself with bwo, and ehc, but i had thought about tying up a stonefly pattern to fish on the smith, sorry for the confusion.

Woolly Bugger

No, I can honestly say I've never fished a stonefly pattern on the Smith, try it with a dropper or two ;D

I use that rig on the Watauga, using the stonefly as a strike indicator, but really fishing the nymphs, occasionally I'll get a hit on the  stimulator......
me -There's a season?

phg

Sorry, I should have assumed that from the context.  No, I've never used a fly that was specifically a stonefly.  I have used a lot of caddis which  can pass for a stonefly, but I can't say I've ever had a great day with them.  Maybe I'm trying the wrong size and/or color.  Like Wooly, I'm usually doing dry and dropper, and the dropper gets a lot more attention.

I may try tying up some 18 and 20 stones for my next trip.  Black, yellow, maybe a ginger.....

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

slowup

I used to fish the Smith every week before I moved from coast to coast and now back.  There are quite a few stoneflies in the Smith, and the lower down you go the better they get.  I never specifically targeted them, but I would fish a yellow Elk Hare, or Orange and do well with it - especially when I was searching for fish.