News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

N. Mills River

Started by Browntrout, March 14, 2007, 07:40:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Browntrout

Hit the NMR yesterday after work.  Temperature was in the upper 60's and partly cloudy.  Got to the campground area and saw several people camping.  Walked downstream about a mile through the briars and woods and began fishing back upstream to the car.  Started of fishing an olive WB to no avail.  Started noticing lots of bugs flying around and tied on a small EHC.  Got several rises but not quick enough to set the hook.  Then around 6:30 noticed some BWO flying around and the fish started rising everywhere.  Tied the smallest one on and missed another 4 or 5 fish.  No fish landed but still and enjoyable evening watching the fish rise and getting a couple rises on the fly. 

Three things I learned on this outing  1.  I can't see a BWO on the water for s*%t.
                                                 2.  My dry fly casting sucks
                                                 3.  Mills River has lots of briars and sticks overhanging the water   
                                                      downstream from the campground.
I love the smell of the Mountains in the morning

phg

Sounds like a fun time. ;D  Since you have trouble seeing a BWO, maybe you should try a WWO (white winged olive.)  Try using white Poly yarn for the wing.  A Mr. Rapidan (same fly with a Yellow wing) is another possible solution.  Of course a lot of missed hits may mean your fly was one size too large too....

moodytrout

You'll get-em next time Browntrout 0--0

Woolly Bugger

sounds like you're getting rusty, need to get out and practice at least once a week, oh I forgot, you're a married man now, LOL!!!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Browntrout

Well, I get out about once a week, but I still have trouble fishing small streams where there is lots of variable currents and pockets.  I am trying to get the wifey into it, so we can spend more "together time" >:D
I love the smell of the Mountains in the morning

peter p

Watch out what you ask for browntrout.  I now get yelled at for not taking my girlfriend enough.  Who would have thought.  She used to come with me and read a book on the bank.  One day she decided to jump in the river and take a few casts.  The rest is history.   I know, nice problem to have and stop complaining. 
Peter