News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Thursday fishing

Started by troutphisher, February 23, 2007, 17:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I took Thursday off to fish, it was the first nice day of the year (besides the wind), so I figured I had to fish some where in a gorge to block some of the wind.

I ended up at fishing a state park, in the mountians of western NC.
I haven't fished this stream in a couple of years, so it was good to get back there.

This is a free stone stream about 3100ft elevation. The air temp was 65 and the water was right at 44 deg's. The water was very clear even though we had rain move through the area, the day before. It was running a little high.

I started fishing around 10:am and started with a size 16 ptn, fishing the riffles and pocket water. It was good to see the stream in good condition, the rocks were cover in green moss, and vegetation. I could see fish holding in the seams, and just off the rocks in the pockets.

Some of the fish were in very shallow water about a foot, and spooked when I waded up. So I started to cast into these areas from a distance, and this worked, I managed several small browns. Most were in the 6"-8" range and their colors were great.

Around noon a good hatch was on, these were small grey mayflies, I was thinking bwo, but they were light grey colored. I managed to catch one as it was coming off. This was a fresh hatch, and I figured it would darked as it matured.

I tied on a bwo size 18, but the wind kept whipping the fly off the water, so I gave up on it and went back to the PTN. I moved to a riffle section that tailed out to a pool, and fished the ptn cross current. I caught a couple more browns, with one going 10".

It was fun to fish this area again, and fish the windy conditions.
Hopefully the wind will die down for the week ends fishing.

Here a re a few pics of the stream, fish and bugs.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Just makes me really want to go fishing....

Thanks
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Chaser

Nice report.  Nice pictures. 0--0  I was lucky enough to get out also on Thursday.  Late in the day the wind sure picked up.

TC

Gofisher

Are you using the same rod on all these trips? One of your bamboos? Just curious...
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

troutphisher

Gordie:

I switch between the Headwaters, and the Teastick boo every week end.
Both rods came with two tips, and I alternates tips as well.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Gofisher

Thanks, that's about what I figured.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.