News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

salt water & waders

Started by Bloy, January 24, 2007, 19:40:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloy

Actually this is a two / II / 2 / part question.     :P
#1 I am going to be in the Myrtly Beach area for a couple of weeks working. Would there be any harm to using my 'normally trout stream waders' in the surf?
#2 Would there be any harm to using my freshwater gear? could everything just be rinsed clear?

Thanks,
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

croaker

Yep,  long as you rinse 'em thouroughly withfreshwaterafter each time in the salty water you'll be O.K.
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Bloy on January 24, 2007, 19:40:12 PM
Actually this is a two / II / 2 / part question.     :P
#1 I am going to be in the Myrtly Beach area for a couple of weeks working. Would there be any harm to using my 'normally trout stream waders' in the surf?
#2 Would there be any harm to using my freshwater gear? could everything just be rinsed clear?

Thanks,
Barry

Salt will cause problems in almost any gear. The problem occurs when the water evaporates and leaves salt crystals behind. They are shape and corrosive. Once they form they are very difficult to remove as they tend to dissolve slowly.

Rinse, soak, and rinse again. That's what we did with all our SCUBA gear! IMHO i wouldn't use an expesive freshwater reel in the salt...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Be sure to pull all the line & backing off the reel to rinse it off. If you have breathable waders I'd wash them to. This cold spell we have been having isn't going to help the saltwater fishing :-\
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

NCCY

I see this question about once a month on the SE board and the answers are usualy the same about rinsing. My advise is never ever use fresh equiptment in the salt. I just had the drag replaced on my Ross BG4 reel after three years salt use. Ross told me to soak the reel in warm water for 20 minutes after each use, then rinse. Just had three guides replaced on one of Scott rods after 2 years. Another rod had the stripping guide last one year. All these are meant for the salt and were always rinsed after use. Salt water causes corrosion on everything. Although, I use my Dan Bailey waders in the salt with no ill effect.