News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Are you being watched?

Started by Trout Maharishi, January 31, 2007, 18:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: 5xTippett on November 21, 2013, 21:25:32 PM
Mud, the difference between a fisheries biologist and a game biologist is that a fisheries biologist over a river can shock the river.  Therefore he knows what is in his river.  This is why I believe Scott when he tells me what is in the Smith.  A wildlife biologist unless you know something I don't know, can't shock the woods.  Therefore I am more inclined to listen to hunters than I am to game biologists.  I am quite delighted that you don't believe me about what I saw.  It confirms that I was right.  By the way I am a member of a club here in my hometown comprised of hunters and fisherman.  At my table tonight there were 3 people who had seen black cougars, panthers or what ever you want to call them.

You're not saying that wildlife biologists fail to sample critters of interest, small and large, are you?   There is a plethora of techniques, ranging from the simple (recording wildlife-vehicle collisions) to the very complex (capture, GPS collaring, etc.), many comparable to shocking (often much more efficient than shocking lotic systems).  Trust me, any wildlife biologist worth their salt knows their wildlife assemblages.  In fact, understanding the terrestrial stuff is vastly easier than getting a handle on what is going on in the black box of an aquatic environment. 

Well, I just added 3 more people that I don't believe.  I don't need their names; I'll call them Larry, Moe, and Curly.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

overbrook

Nub...some folks belive that we developed from single cell organisms over millions of years...but they can't belive a few cats migrated several hundred miles.

Some people believe that cows fart so much that they are melting the polar ice caps, causing the oceans to rise and therefore are responsible for earthquakes.....but they could'nt belive that a few cats migrated several hundred miles.

In fact some people believe it is a grand idea to spend hundreds of millions of dollars on a website to get a few thousand to sign up for some bullshit insurance.....and yet, they think you're a fool for believing that you saw an animal that has'nt been known to have populated the area for what...a few decades? 

there are no cougars....never have been ....never will be. They are a myth....you have no proof!

overbrook

Quote from: benben on November 21, 2013, 20:02:05 PM
That one shot in west central Georgia was evidenced to be a captive raised cougar.

So does that mean it did'nt exist ?

snagaluffaguss

Ben and OB you are obviously men of faith. You choose to believe and that is enough.

You must forgive Mud as he is a man of science. If it can't be measured it does not exist.  And conclusions must be based upon evidence untill the appearance of new and/or contrary evidence.

Also he has openly stated that the chasing of pussy is a grand waste of time.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: snagaluffaguss on November 21, 2013, 23:37:30 PM
Also he has openly stated that the chasing of pussy is a grand waste of time.

Very true!  Chasing pu**y of any color is a waste of time, particularly when it doesn't exist in your neck of the woods.  Sure, a pu**y can migrate many miles, but it is guaranteed to leave some sign and stench.

Not only are you guys seeing panthers, you are seeing black panthers.  I don't think total melanism has ever been confirmed in U.S. cougars/panthers/mountain lions.

benben reincarnated

Quote from: overbrook on November 21, 2013, 23:35:52 PM
Quote from: benben on November 21, 2013, 20:02:05 PM
That one shot in west central Georgia was evidenced to be a captive raised cougar.

So does that mean it did'nt exist ?

A hunter did shoot a cougar in west central Georgia, that cannot be denied, the cougar was not a wild cougar.  Equate it to catching a stocker.  It still is a trout, but it sure as shit ain't a wild fish.

The Dude

Hard scientific proof.  Take THAT, doubters!

I won't lie, I used to love this show.....even saw the movie in theaters.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: benben on November 22, 2013, 07:29:19 AM
A hunter did shoot a cougar in west central Georgia, that cannot be denied, the cougar was not a wild cougar.  Equate it to catching a stocker.  It still is a trout, but it sure as shit ain't a wild fish.

Again, what happened to that GA cougar?  The same thing happened to the Milford, Connecticut lion.  It was killed, dead as a stone.  Sure these critters migrate, and as I said earlier I hope their migration hits Hudson high, and they get here quick.

I think that Connecticut kitty left a trail a blind person could follow.  And I am sure those FL panthers would migrate north (ain't but so many directions they can go), leaving a trajectory of sightings and sign.

What are the chances of an individual seeing one, much less two, of these immigrants?

With all the multiple reported sightings in certain areas of the east, why have there not been more killings?  From vehicles?  By Bubba and his rifle, wanting to silence peckerheads like me?   

Why no reliable photos, or real sign?

Why no treed cougars by bear hunters?

When I see real evidence (and it'll take a more than contemporary prototype reported sightings) I will be elated!  I will admit my cynicism was off-base and I am full of sh*t.   And I'll be green eyed with envy until I see one in the wild. 

Michael Toris

While monitoring this thread,  a few things have became evident:

1. Some of you all have some high quality dope if you are seeing BLACK panthers in the wild. This color phase has never been documented in the cougar/puma/thing.

Yes, I have heard the tails myself; apparently,  one was spotted behind my childhood home (which I spent almost everyday playing/hunting/fishing at) by a dude who built a cabin on it. He was from Raighleh and spent about 10 days per year there for approximately 3 years until he sold it and moved back to the city. Nah brah, you didn't see shit; you were drunk (he enjoyed his spirts)

2. Some of you put way too much stock in electrofishing. I shocked a stream 10-15 times before I found a single brook trout during my grad work. I learned they were running from me when they felt the current and I would have to bullrush them in order to collect them. Who knows how many I missed.

3. Muddy straight owns some of y'alls asses. His posting strategy and technique is like a well oiled machine. I am not sure I have ever seen someone piss off more people, just for the fun of it, in my life. It's seems easier than remembering to breathe for him.

According to the science, don't exist around here boys; but damn I want them to real bad. If they do, I will eat the hell out of some crow and ask for seconds.

Feather Chucker

I just wonder if some of these people who see cougars are the same ones who think every snake near water is a cottonmouth.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Feather Chucker on November 22, 2013, 11:03:50 AM
I just wonder if some of these people who see cougars are the same ones who think every snake near water is a cottonmouth.

Or a copperhead!

tomato can

Quote from: wildmttrout on November 22, 2013, 09:37:27 AM
While monitoring this thread,  a few things have became evident:

3. Muddy straight owns some of y'alls asses. His posting strategy and technique is like a well oiled machine. I am not sure I have ever seen someone piss off more people, just for the fun of it, in my life. It's seems easier than remembering to breathe for him.

No truer words have been posted on this forum.  As a semi reformed beehive poker/pot stirrer/shithouse lawyer - I see ol' Big Muddy coming a mile a way.  He is dry fly fishing from the computer and everybody rises up to take the bait every time.

Trout Maharishi

I think the black large cats people are seeing are jaguars. Nothing else from south of the boarder has any trouble getting into anywhere in the US.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski