SW Virginia Exploration

Started by natureboy, December 28, 2006, 09:16:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

natureboy

Well over the weekend I managed to sneak away and fish a little bit.  Mostly just explored around, looking for new places to fish.  Ended up either fishing or doing a drive-by on at least 9 streams, turned up some nice things...  Saturday we hit the Roanoke River drainage and didn't really turn up much in the way of fish, though the water looked really good...  Tale of the tape, I hooked a native, my buddy caught a stocker, 3 streams fished, 3 drive-by's.

1 hooked
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

nothing

nothing

nothing -- note:  best looking water all weekend

Monday, visiting family, I woke up bright and early and fished the special reg section of the Pound River.  Beautiful water, flow just right, landed two nice browns--problems:  poured the rain and didymo algae, that stuff really sucks, slippery as hell, had to clean off the fly every other cast, and I had to bleach my waders and boots before I could fish anywhere else.

Tuesday found me playing hookie from work and fishing on the south side of the Blue Ridge Parkway, not far from the NC line.  Fished two streams and did a drive-by on one other.  Both streams we fished turned up wild rainbows, though we fished through or near stocked water...pretty damn irritating that the VDGIF is still stocking over wild fish.

Typical wild bow we caught

Great scenery

Runnet Bag Creek

Rock Castle Creek

phg

That was some nice looking water you visited.  Definitely worth a return trip when the weather gets a bit warmer. 

Woolly Bugger

Sounds like time well spent....thanks for the report....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Gofisher

Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

troutphisher

Your right, some of that water looks pretty promising for trout.

Nice pictures!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Stuart R.

I live not too far from the Pound river. I hardly ever fish it though. I have seen some nice fish down there but never been able to get one. I have got some 15 to 16" browns but nothing bigger. I have yet to hit it on a just right flow. I hate that you can't tell the flow till you get there. I have hit too high to wade in most places so you had to use the bank in most places which are lots of times cliffs. I have been there too low like last time, I went all the way down to where it dumps into the Russell Fork river. When you were there how far did you go? I saw a nice pod of fish rising on BWOs but too still for me I didn't cast to them too much. But just wanting to know more about the pound. It could be a nice halfway close fishing hole.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

natureboy

Quote from: Stuart R. on January 04, 2007, 11:46:42 AM
I live not too far from the Pound river. I hardly ever fish it though. I have seen some nice fish down there but never been able to get one. I have got some 15 to 16" browns but nothing bigger. I have yet to hit it on a just right flow. I hate that you can't tell the flow till you get there. I have hit too high to wade in most places so you had to use the bank in most places which are lots of times cliffs. I have been there too low like last time, I went all the way down to where it dumps into the Russell Fork river. When you were there how far did you go? I saw a nice pod of fish rising on BWOs but too still for me I didn't cast to them too much. But just wanting to know more about the pound. It could be a nice halfway close fishing hole.

STU

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/va/nwis/uv/?site_no=03209000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,00060,62620,00062
Check that before you go to see what the flow is.

I started at the Russell Fork and fished up, didn't make it too far due to having to get back to the house for breakfast Christmas morning.

Bloy

Really nice looking water.  0--0
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Stuart R.

Ya I knew about that site what I would like is to have a schedule like the TVA dams that will tell you a day in advance. I like to plan things the night before. But you are right that is handy to look before you are going. Thanks for the info.
STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.

natureboy

http://www.dickensonctyva.com/html/fish__wildlife___recreation.html

It's not a hydroelectric dam, it's just for flood control, maybe they would be able to tell you what the flows will be the next day, I've never tried, but it could be worth a shot.