As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Equi

Started by trout-r-us, January 11, 2007, 11:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout-r-us

I've

phg

Basic Harvard Business School economic theory, because people will pay it.

Generally, the flyrod blank is lighter, more precisely manufactured and more finely tuned than a spinning rod blank of the same length.  Also, some of the components will be of higher quality, especially if there's an exotic hardwood insert and top grade cork is used for the grip.  On the other hand, snake guides are cheaper than agate insert single foot spinning guides and the cost of wrapping and finishing is about the same.

Still, retail pricing comes back to "how much will people pay for this" as opposed to "how much is this worth."  That is one of the reasons why so many people are getting into rod building.  To be honest, there are more spinning rod builders out there than there are flyrod builders. 

Woolly Bugger

Shimano Clarus $79! All the spinning rod you'll need.
or you can go with an ugly stick for $39.

imho
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

outdoorguy3

Has more to do with the mandrels required to make each blank as well as the steps required.  Takes more time to make addtional ferrules on fly rod blank.

Quality control is probably the same and materials might be the same....but I'm willing to bet the tip of that spinning rod blank is not quite the same size as the fly rod blank.  Bigger tip/inside diameter.... means less costly mandrel.
I would assume that they sell more of the spinning rod than they do the fly rod thus ecomony of production will be less.

The mandrel and the material of the blank are the primary cost and the mandrel is the biggest cost of production.

Ralph    0--0
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

Mstash

Keith,
I'm with you on spinning Rods.
Budget fisherman

Trout Maharishi

TRU,
Quit drinking for a couple weeks and you could buy some nice equipment with the money you save 0--0
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Stuart R.

CPR Catch, Photo, Release.