News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Rainy end to 2006!

Started by troutphisher, December 31, 2006, 18:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished a stream in the higher elevations of western NC, this stream is normally shallow, but with the rains I figured it would be the easiest to fish when the water got high.

This is a free stone stream, at about 3100 ft elevation. The water was clear when I started about 11:30 this morning, it was raining hard, and I knew the conditions would change as the day progressed.

I started and stayed with a size 16 ptn all day. I fished the seams at first, but it was hard to tell where they stream seams were, the water was high and some of the boulders that normally give sign the seams and current were under water, so it was like reading a new stream. I looked for seams that would tail off to eddy currents near the bank and fished these cross current letting the current pull the fly into the feeding lanes. This worked pretty good and I soon caught several good rainbows.

The rain was coming down so hard at times it was hard to see the line. I wore a rain breaker wading jacket, but it couldn't keep up with the heavy rain.

After a couple of hours the water started to get heavily stained and clarity was about a foot.
I continued to fish the seams near the bank, because the water stayed clearer than the main currents. I managed several more rainbows, and they finally ripped up my ptn, I will strip the fly down and retie a new one.

At about 3:00pm the current got to strong and I was having a tough time wading, I almost tripped on a submerged tree limb, it caught my boot and the current was pressing my foot down.
Even the shallow water was now dirty and the fishing slowed down, so I called it quits.

Still it was the last day of the year, and the fishing was fun, a good way to end the 2006.

Happy New Year! And better fishing in 2007!

Here are some pics
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Devinsdad

Sweet lookin bows there phish.

Glad you ended the year with a few more fish. 0--0

Woolly Bugger

damn phis I'm glad I caught my last fish of the year yesterday and didn't have to worry about the rain and creek rising.
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

troutphisher

It was a good way to end the year, Hopefully next year will be better, and the fish will continue to bite the fies I offer!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Mstash

They were calling for a 1/2 of rain But it's been raining for 24hours
I thnk they were wrong again

Mstash

Larry

You are an inspiration to us all.

Larry

troutphisher

You are an inspiration to us all.

Larry

Sorry, but I am not an inspriation.... I am just a fisherman  ???