Paul, Joe & Al's Alaskan Adventure - Day 8 - Wrapping it up

Started by Al, August 23, 2006, 20:43:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Saturday morning, August 12th, our last day in Alaska, we woke to more rain. It was a light rain, but it was rain nevertheless. We had packed up the night before. We had planned to go into Talkeetna for a breakfast but decided to wake up with several cups of coffee in the comfort of our own surroundings while Joe did his thing with the last of our eggs, cheese and ham. We topped that off with bagels and sourdough toast. We didn't eat fancy but we ate well. I don't think any of us loss any weight.

We loaded up the SUV at about 9 o'clock, leaving our coolers on top and headed for Nancy's where she was holding our filleted fish in one of her freezers. We each had 48 quart coolers which were half full with wet wading boots and other assorted gear. The frozen fish divided three ways went on top. We used Duck Tape to seal the coolers. When I weighed my cooler at the airport it hit 48 pounds, just 2 short of the maximum.

Nancy invited us in for coffee and pastry. I would have declined but I saw that look on Paul's face so dutifully followed everyone into Nancy's kitchen. Nancy and her Sunshine Cabins B&B are one of the best kept secrets in Talkeetna. I have stayed with her three times and have never been disappointed. She is one of the last folks in the area who "homesteaded". She was also a registered guide and a bush pilot. Needless to say she can tell some stories. She does not have a website but she can be reached at (907) 733-1201 or email sunshine@mtaonline.net (photo attached)
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

We were on the road to Anchorage by 11 o'clock. Joe and I had flights that departed about 4 o'clock. Paul did not depart until 1130, so he dropped us off at the airport and headed back to Sportsmen's Warehouse for a second go at the fly tying section. As soon as Joe and I got into line to check in we detected there was a problem. Very soon there after they announced that the plane which was to be our flight would be delayed in arrival into Anchorage and therefore anyone with a connecting flight would have to be rebooked. We stood in line for over two hours as they rebooked about 150 people one at a time.

Joe and I were originally planning on being home at 830 Sunday morning. Our rescheduled flight did not depart until 1245am Sunday and our projected arrival home was at 7pm Sunday evening. Nothing to do but go with the flow. We both had books to read and they gave us meal tickets so it was not to bad. We actually saw Paul when he returned to the airport several hours later to check in. He ended up departing and getting home before we did. Our baggage, including the coolers arrived home with us OK. The fish were still frozen so who can complain?

From my perspective we had a very good trip. We caught lots of fish and saw some new country and have some good memories. Joe & Paul were good companions. We got along fine and had a lot of good laughs. I acted as the group leader and coordinator but always tired to keep them in the loop and do things that we all arrived at a consensus on. I enjoyed their company and hope they will overlook some of my flaws and say the same about me.

OK, that is it. Some of you are wondering what a trip like this cost. It really was not bad at all. I always tell folks to figure on $3000 and if they come back with a $1000 in their pocket to consider themselves lucky. We did better then that this time. We didn't do anything fancy or extra and did not eat out very much. That saved money. We also did not go to the tourist trap called the Kenai or Homer to fish for King Salmon or Halibut. Add at least a $1000 if you want to do that. Add another $250 to $1000 if you want to go on a "flyout", do some "flightseeing" or engage a guide with boat for a day.

In gross terms here are our major expenses:

Airfare from Fayetteville to Anchorage and return: $650 - 700. (Paul went out of Raleigh - I expect his was less)

Motel in Anchorage for one night: $130 divided by 2 for Paul and Joe = $65 - I went a few days early and stayed with my daughter.

Rental car and gas: $481 divided by 3 = $160 - we got a good deal on the rental car because Paul was able to use his employers discount - it would have cost twice as much otherwise.

7 day fishing license: $50 each

Sunshine B&B for 7 nights: $1190 divided by 3 = $397. FYI Nancy has a place that will hold 6. It would be a bit crowded with 6 but would be ideal for four folks.

We paid for Eric's gas to take us to Peters Creek: $60 divided by 3 = $20

Toss in about $100 each for gifts, food and booze

Total cost 3 guys sharing expenses = $ 1500 each

Where else can you go be gone for 9 days, with 7 days of flyfishing for 25-32 inch fish where you get about 50 hookups a day and land 15-20 of them? I think we did alright!  0--0

croaker

Al, Paul &Joe,

Enjoyed seeing y'alls Adventure!!!  Thanks fer the tips on low funds Alaska Aventures!!!

Gonna have to try that one of these years.

don
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

is it already over! can't we stay another week!

thanks for the tag team reports and pics.....

I'm with croaker on "one day" I'll get there too....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

phg

There isn't much to add to Al's final report. I really didn't do anything interesting after I dropped them off.  In fact, I could kick myself not not checking out the Visitor's Guide and making some plans....

As for the accounting of costs, I would add only one thing.  If you are already equipped for this kind of outing, $1500 would have done it.  If, on the other hand, you need to aquire rods, reels, raingear, etc., you can easily add another $500 to $1000 (or more) to the tab. 

...And yes, I'm ready to go again!

itieuglyflies

Although I rarely post on these sites but do read them often I felt I needed to post a comment about the Alaskan Adventure. WOW! The accounts weres so interesting and  covered more than just the catching. With the pics I really felt like I experieced the trip with the crew. Having gone on a number of adventures and mis adventures it's the extra stuff that makes the trips memorable and Al and crew keep us posted on what it was really like from dealing with locals, crowded conditions, to what worked and did not work, etc., etc.
Thanks for sharing. Good Stuff.

Fred M.
Richmond,Va.